The reactor

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

The reactor

Post by kharnov »

Let's look at the reactor!

ImageI'm sure that all of you recall the Tremulous reactor. Large and bulky, it provided power to the human base, and when destroyed it made a large explosion that often took out attacking aliens with low health. It was easily one of the more recognizable human structures, considering that in addition to the reassuring spinning of its arms during operation, the structure was also required to actually build and use things. Much time would be spent finding the correct placement of turrets to defend it, but of course, nothing was truly foolproof. Ultimately, a zapping marauder or barb-launching dragoon would take out enough to leave it vulnerable.

ImageWith our own reactor, we wanted to go with a design that both invoked the older one, while at the same time bringing a more detailed, polished look that fit in with the remainder of our human artwork. We finished the concept stage last fall, with a few designs to choose from. Each one took the original model in a different direction. After some discussion, we decided to settle on the third design shown above as the general shape for our new reactor. The other designs give you a sense of other directions we could have taken, although it is likely that we will use the first one for a repeater.

ImageNow, after months in the making, our reactor is finally finished! I can say with absolute certainty that it will be in this coming release next Sunday. Modeled by chris807, who also did our turret and grenade models and is now working on some weapons, the reactor is, as one would expect, the largest and most impressive human structure. Echoing its predecessor, the new reactor also has three spinning arms rotating around the central power core, with an abundance of pulsating, glowing lights to keep those turrets and your jetpack running. It has some fantastically complicated texture work as well, and will even be taking advantage of the gloss map texture feature that we will be adding in this coming release.

ImageThere will likely be some other surprises, too! Follow @UNVofficial on Twitter for all your Unvanquished news.

Click here to read this article on the main site!

Unregistered

Re: The reactor

Post by Unregistered »

Amazing job guys! Keep going like this :D

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

This reactor is a masterpiece! I look forward to jump on it with the new Marauder model Sunday! :love:

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

Tom wrote:

This reactor is a masterpiece! I look forward to jump on it with the new Marauder model Sunday! :love:

do not get your hopes up, I'll be there on that beautiful structure camping hard with my lasgun ;)

Raptor

Post by Raptor »

cool basi.when well be able to use it?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

That's a marauder.

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

But the second design... :(

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

For some reason it looks like a plastic toy for me :(

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Looks like a pouncing dragoon (and its momentum) be strong enough to bowl down that reactor like a pin.
It'd be nice to have more heavy-looking things at the bottom than simple portable flaps.
Overall: +1 granger

and your jetpack running

It'd be nice to implement KoRx's idea of a "battery-powered jetpack" where it recharges faster with a reactor, and slower without, and expells its energy faster without a reactor and faster when moving which kinda obeys Tesla's and Le Chetalier's priniciples more realistically*. The current silly "if rc is down, disable" form is really.... obselete? No, that's not the word....
*Realistically, reactors shouldn't have 3 arms (polarity, N/S fluxes are like binary), but who gives, it still looks awesome.

Btw, will it have little zappy-effects coming out of the sides arms like the old one?

@repeaters: Preferably have them small and not tall like the concept design, but gameplay-wise I'd like them to keep their current status: Weak health, vunerable, big consequences if goes down, but small.

icaro440 wrote:

do not get your hopes up, I'll be there on that beautiful structure camping hard with my lasgun ;)

I like to see you try. Thanks to GPP gameplay, I can chomp you to death ever faster than trem 1.1. Remember, marauders deal (10/4 * 60 * 0.4 = 60)dmg/s against helmets. You'd be dead before your lasgun can even dish out 80 damage.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

My favorite model so far. Well done!
Although the fact that the model texture is much more high res than the surrounding walls and the floor makes it look very out of place. (the same could be said for all the new models)