Leech

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Leech

Post by Khaoz »

Hey guys here's a concept picture of the Leech.

We did have someone else working on the leech (which is what this is pretty much based off) but they kinda posted a few times and then never returned.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Leech Concept Art

Post by Viech »

To repeat what I said on IRC: I like the idea of a mushroom sucking resources from its environment (after all, that's what mushrooms do, isn't it?). The leech should be buildable on wall and ceiling, too, so I'm not completely happy with the stand since it creates the impression that it can only stand upright on the floor. I'd move the body closer to the surface, possibly getting rid of the needle.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Update:

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

It's like a squid mushroom. I love it!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Awesome. I like the shape a lot. For animation purposes, a few more free tentacles like the one on the left would be nice.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Engine limitations mean that it should approximately fit within a sphere and both it and that sphere must fit within its bounding box, which must be a cube. Otherwise, no problems :smile:

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

I like it so far.

Since it is presumably supposed to be "the tip of the iceberg" it should have much more substantial roots. It should give off the impression of having most of its mass underground. Roots that spread out over a large_ish base area, with thick roots burrowing into whatever surface it is mounted on would do the trick.

It would be pretty cool if the animation would spit out balls of resources or make the model grow or something. The idea being that it is mining stuff so those resources have to go somewhere.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Avatar awesomeness increases by 35%.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Viech wrote:

Avatar awesomeness increases by 35%.

You must have missed this in the IRC