Slot system (inventory reform)

Request new features or present your ideas.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Slot system (inventory reform)

Post by kharnov »

I am proposing that we replace the abstract inventory system we've inherited from Tremulous with a more sensible solution that is both logical and permits for additional expansion. This has been brought up on the channel a few times, and since I support the idea, I will now expand it and attempt to codify it and make suggestions for interface integration.

To put it quite simply, I feel that each item of human equipment should take up a set amount of slots. Instead of the old system in which you perpetually had a blaster in addition to a primary weapon that you purchased or spawned with, this one would allow for greater flexibility. There would be several types of slots depending on the category of the equipment in question. For instance, there would be weapon slots, body slots, and accessory slots. Clearly, this would correspond to your guns, your armor, and the miscellaneous things you buy. Further, each item is assigned its very own size. A 'small' item takes up one slot, a 'medium' item takes up two slots, and a 'large' item takes up three.

Assuming that you can have three items in each slot, this would allow for you to have the following combinations: three small items, a small item and a medium item, or solely a large item. Of course, this would assume that we kept three slots for each category. My choice of three is somewhat arbitrary, but would allow for a nice square grid. Three categories, three slots each for a total of nine. Very easy to deal with.

Proposed weapon slots:

• Small: blaster, other pistol-like weapons, construction kit?

• Medium: most weapons, including rifle, etc.

• Large: chaingun, lucifer cannon, flamer?

Proposed armor slots:

• Small: helmet, light armor, battery pack, jet pack.

• Medium: heavy armor, etc.

• Large: battlesuit, etc.

Proposed accessory slots:

• Small: grenade, that helmet upgrade Viech talked about, etc.

Most of the old Tremulous equipment combinations are still possible. You can equip your suit of armor with a jetpack and go around with a primary weapon and a blaster if you feel like it. On the other hand, it's now possible to diversify. You could go with three small weapons if you felt like it. Or, you can go with something besides the blaster. Armor becomes a choice of taking the old light suit and a backpack, or going heavier while still being able to crouch, unlike with the battlesuit. Accessories could be limited by type if you feel that grenades are too powerful.

Another major reason for the slot system is how you actually represent all of this. Instead of having to deal with the armory in a way that makes you slowly buy and sell things from a menu, you could simply drag and drop, just like the inventory system in games like Diablo. When you go to the armory, you're presented with two windows. The top window has all the equipment available at the armory, and if you can buy it, it's colored blue; otherwise, it's in red. As for the bottom window, you have your nine slots. Buying something is simply a matter of dragging and dropping, as if you drag onto an occupied slot, it's replaced by whatever you've chosen. To get information on what you're buying, you hover the mouse over the item in question and there's an info popup.

Yet another thing you can do this way is set your default equipment set. Either from the menu or while you're in the spawn queue, you can drag and drop things onto your preferred equipment list, and it'll automatically purchase all of that the next time you run by an armory.

Here's a silly mockup of what a typical set could look like:

See what I'm getting at? Comments? Criticism?

Viech
Project Head

Re: Slot system (inventory reform)

Post by Viech »

I'm totally in favor of a Diablo like slot system but I find your proposal too abstract. The issue is that we need to be able to fine-tune the possible combinations. If the heavy armor includes a helmet then it doesn't make sense to allow the player to buy an additional helmet. It's also not possible to carry both a jetpack and a battery pack but such an inventory would allow this (or atleast create the impression to do so). The system you are proposing is often used for a general carry-along inventory but it doesn't really fit the application of an equipment inventory.

Here's what I had in mind:

• Head (helmet, gas mask)

• Body/Legs (light armor)

• Back (jetpack, battery pack)

• Weapon (guns, big construction kit)

• Sidearm (blaster, pistol, small construction kit)

• Grenade (grenade, incendiary grenade)

Potentially these two, if we find additional items that fit.

• Utility (radar) *

• Syringe bag (medikit)

The battlesuit would fit in the Body/Legs slot but disable the Head and Back slots (like a two handed weapon in Diablo disables the second hand).

• I would like to decouple the radar from the helmet, make it a seperate upgrade and improve it (read more). If it wasn't for the jetpack+radar combination I would put the radar in the back slot. Maybe this will work when the radar also displays enemies to teammates.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Sure. My categories were only a suggestion. You can use whatever you want.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Maybe Gireen wants to concept a fitting Diablo like (II, III) slot system visualization for us? :smile:

It would be used to show the current equipment on the HUD, with keybindings displayed next to usable items (in tutorial mode) and as a (potentially interactive) part of the buy menu.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

to complicated. thats what i think about a Diablo like inventory. In a RPG this might be a good way but a Shooter needs a simple and fast way.

Lets take a look how this is done in other shooters:
Urban Terror: inventory & weapons
before spawning you can chose weapons/items/armo the 3. item slot can only be used when there is no armor selected or something.

Battlefield 3/BC2: inventory & detail view
class based, where special classes have special items/weapons. before spawning these can be modified.

continue this for every 2. Shooter available

The current Tremulous menu is slow, this wouldn't be such a big problem if it isn't used in a fight. e.g. aliens attack the base or a outpost with armory. Advanced players use binds but this is no real solution. The game must be usable without binds. Circle menus are intended to resolve this, but when if have many items the problem begins again.
A solution could be to offer a preset of 5 -7 sets of weapon/armor/items in a circle menu. what else would be defined in binds could be accessible for everyone and personalized in the options.

Personal i would direct use a class based systems. Where different variations in a class are possible, for humans different weapons/armors/items
for aliens different abilities. like for the dretch a version where he is transparent or can jump like a goon. Than players can chose between stealth or faster movement. Or the goon with sniping or the ability to block bullets.

fear ma engrish :granger:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

You are probably right regarding the buy menus. Actual drag and drop would be too slow for combat situations. But for displaying the current equipment on the HUD, I still think a Diablo like slot graphic is perfectly suited.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

For aliens, I would indeed go with a pie menu. Humans have a lot more options and will need either a stacked pie menu or somehting more expanded like the BF3 class selection menu Gireen posted – with or without "classes"/predefined sets of equipment. However, there needs to be a form of display of the current equipment and I propose to use a Diablo like slot graph, as it illustrates the underlying slot system (which I want to keep and extend) pretty well.

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

About what do we talk here?
Displaying a Diablo like inventory while buying or always in the hud?
The latter needs to much space in field of view.
I would splitt it into different parts, for Usable Weapons/Items/Abilities on the bottom where the actual inventory is and armor/shields/powerups near the health bar.
and switching usable stuff with the 1-9 keys.

fear ma engrish :granger:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I was speaking about showing it both on the HUD (small version with hot keys) and on the buy screen. Khaoz posted a concept on IRC today. The interface design is really up to you, I just want you to know that the backend I have in mind is a Diablo like slot system or in other words a streamlined version of the equipment limits of Tremulous (which precisely resemble a slot system – it just doesn't get communicated too well). Each item would fit into one or more predefined slots and a slot can only be occupied by one item. However, I would like to emphasize this system by making sure that there are multiple options available for each slot (e.g. having a small construction kit or a stronger handgun in the blaster slot, choosing between different types of grenades, choosing between helmet and gas mask, etc). This would certainly need some form of visualization so the player knows intuitively why it isn't possible to wield two grenades or both a pistol and a small construction kit at the same time. Tremulous was lacking this kind of information on both HUD and buy menu.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

How about a little dude in a corner of the hud that mirrors the player. It shows his equipment and his hit points. When you buy some armor the dude changes to reflect that. When you get a chaingun so does the dude.

When purchasing equipment the game could throw up a menu with equipment slots much like diablo/baldurs gate inventory. You could number the slots from 1 to whatever and have the list of items you can buy fall under numbered headers.

For selecting items for your inventory you could use the same numbered slot keys....
Slot 1 primary weapon
Slot 2 secondary weapon
Slot 3 miscellaneous items (grenades, extra medkits, etc)

Naturally the slots for the armor and accessories like battery packs would not be activated by the player unless they have some special abilities tied to them.