Interested in helping out?

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
ViruS
Granger

Re: Interested in helping out?

Post by ViruS »

I'll give this a shot, I may not be useful much, and my musician skills aren't ready yet, as I'm still waiting to get cubase, and I'll need to learn how to use it. So far i've just got plain musician skills for midi programs like musescore...

I guess implementing my weapon position/rotation fixes would be enough for now, they've been out for months without being noticed... actually no, anomalous forgot about it.

• What are you skilled at? um... music? Trial-and-error type things? (includes modding and client graphics) Playing "the game" and estimations? Helping people? (not really, but I actually help a lot of people now that i think about it, since unvanquished popped into existance I've probably helped around 20 people to install/play the game...) Annoying the sh*t out of /dev/hc from my numerous technological problems due to my cursed life? Being impulsive by posting random long winded text on forum topics?
    I'm also somewhat top of the year for technical graphics/CAD in my school (microstation 95, yeah ikr, outdated program - only tools we use are lines, parrelel, circle, elipse, isometric circles, and flood)

• Where did you hear about us? From you..... actually I don't remember. It definitely wasn't from sixthly, I knew before then.

• Did you play Tremulous in the past? Since 2007.

• What else have you worked on? My trem mods (github.com/ZdrytchX), music related I do some transcribing and composing, although some of my past compositions on sib are lost, but I kinda have them in my korx video for BGM... uhh... Particle Systems (I haven't tried implementing into maps yet though..), weapon position fixes (for this game specifically, because the ckit's position annoys the hell out of me), minor mapping knowledge (I don't have time to fully master it), and I like to learn.

• How do we stay in touch with you? Email- Sounds weird, but I check my youtube mail more frequently. (/user/zdrytchx) Forum messages - Sure. I check at least once a week, although recently it's been once every day... IRC? - #unvanquished "ZdrytchX" or "VairuSe"

• Wiki. I can help, although I need to learn how to operate the wiki for things like tables, I can learn.

Gosh I feel like I'm writing a resume. And gosh, who the hell uses the term "gosh?"

EDIT (not really): This is... umm.... idunno.... howtosay...
Anyway, the least I can do is probably help align the new guns, as they actually don't aim straight. In my weapon fixes, using trial and error (approx 2-5 hours spent per gun) in the following steps:

1. Displace the gun so its sights are on the crosshair.
  2. Rotate the gun so the sights actually line up (usually they aim somewhere else). This step can be used for "iron sights" mode but it'll be permament until you edit the weapon.config again... Honestly, the ckit was a pain in the arse - took me two days of 3 hours on it. It was rotated at like 30somethingish degrees off or so...
  3. Shift gun down, this becomes the "center view" that you see in classic quake.
  4. Shift to the right, approximately to the same position it was before...
    Result: They aim towards the crosshair, and are rotated correctly.
  5. If the gun has a special muzzle flash (i.e. Flamer) fix it so it still somewhat aims towards the crosshair.

Why I do this? I can be bothered. Although I don't have time to do it usually, I do it when I get bored enough or when an idea pops into my head. Contradictory statement, you'll figure it out later. Tremulous has been my first and favourite fps game in my life. Unvanquished is pretty similar, so why not[/size].

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

For all of you who are interested in sounds, make a personal thread in "Community Creations" and post a couple demo sounds picked from this list of sounds. We'll start putting good sounds in game and credit you.

Amazonian1515
Mantis

Post by Amazonian1515 »

Modelling. Though I'm not great at it, I do have access to things like AutoCAD so I have high-end gear, just not the expertise. (My preferable job would be Animation.)
Coding. I can do Python, so that's of no use to you.
Wiki. My English skills are amazing, and I have a perfect grasp on grammar, spelling and what-not.
General Writing. As stated, great at English. If you need some lore or something typed, just give me the general gist of it, and it'll be yours.

Where did you hear about us?

Played on Tremulous GGP after a 6 month dry spell, and talked to a guy about the failing community, and he directed me here.

Did you play Tremulous in the past?

Not well, but I played it religiously for a year, then 3-5 hours a week.

What else have you worked on?

Nothing… But I really want to get into 'indie' (Is that even the term for Unvanquished?) games.

How do we stay in touch with you?

Forum PM here is fine, though I'm unlikely to read it quickly.
Amazonian1515@gmail.com is checked by myself at least once a day.
Twitter handle is Amazonian1515, though I almost never check it, and it will probably go unnoticed…
Facebook is silly. Don't use it. Hate it.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Forgot that i had CAD skills. I'm top of the school now. Just added to my skills list.

Amazonian1515 wrote:

Wiki. My English skills are amazing, and I have a perfect grasp on grammar, spelling and what-not.
Not well, but I played it religiously for a year, then 3-5 hours a week.
Facebook is silly. Don't use it. Hate it.

I can already see your superior english skills.

FYI the only unvanquished page on facebook is an unofficial one so currently no devs linger on it unless one of them joins the group...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Ivancool

Post by Ivancool »

Ivancool, would you be interested in doing some translation work? We could really use someone to handle Spanish.

Yeah, sure

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Awesome. You can head over to unvanquished.net/translate and translate to Spanish via the web interface. (Also, if you're familiar with Gettext and po files, you can download the po file and translate offline then reupload. It's all up to how you prefer to work).

TheMuffinMann

Post by TheMuffinMann »

What are you skilled at? See below for some examples of what we consider useful skills.

• I am fluent in English and German and have quite some Tremulous experience.

So I could edit the Wiki, test some maps and proofread the German translation and perhaps give some tips.

Where did you hear about us? From a friend? Phoronix? Mod DB? Something else?

• Almost everywhere on the internetz that has to deal with tremulous/unvanquished.

Did you play Tremulous in the past? Totally not a requirement, but nice to know.

• I've been playing since '06 and am currently administrator on two GPP servers.

What else have you worked on? Other projects? Personal things? Have a portfolio or site?

• I'd like to keep alternative projects for myself. ^^

How do we stay in touch with you? Email? Forum messages? IRC?

• It is up to you, I frequently roam the IRC (Found it ^^), Forum and check my emails.

Don't be an idiot and you'll see how smart the population can be.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

#unvanquished @ freenode.net

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

TheMuffinMann wrote:

So I could edit the Wiki

JOIN US

...it's really lonely there

TheMuffinMann

Post by TheMuffinMann »

velociostrich wrote:

JOIN US

...it's really lonely there

Okay? xD

Don't be an idiot and you'll see how smart the population can be.