Evolution UI

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
PickleWarrior

Evolution UI

Post by PickleWarrior »

Hey
We had small chat about it on IRC and... main idea is to re'make evolution system/armoury system
Concept is to use icons (similar to one i made for game with tyrant face) instead of plain text- evo system and improved UI which doesn't exist atm ^^
Discuss etc.
I don't have technical knowledge how much we can change etc. so word from programmers would be useful as well

btw. I can do icons/redraw old ones etc.

btw2. I started redrawing old emoticons, will finish them when I'll sober up

KenuR
Tyrant

Re: Evolution UI

Post by KenuR »

icons instead of text?
maybe it would be better to have a (rotating?) 3D model of the gun/class in the description window?

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

What you might find interesting is the pie chart idea that has been floating around for some time now.
I personally think this is the way to go, but I don't know how easy/hard it is to implement such a thing into the engine.

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

It just happens the one who created that thread is banned...
I was thinking, when selecting those, it could be a lot faster [convenient actually] to select with mouse movement rather than moving than clicking, similar to how L4D's online 'pre-recorded voice commands/messages' are selected. It gets selected as soon as you let go of the chat button, in this case, its buying so the 'q' by default. It is also good because it allows faster selection, especially convenient just after you spawned with a goon tearing your base apart, and you only have 100 credits just to saw the goon. It is also helpful for the fact you're not paralysed if you accidentally click 'q' mid battle.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

The one who created that thread is part of Unvanquished, and therefore banned from TremZ forums. The post was made before the split.

PickleWarrior

Post by PickleWarrior »

High adrenaline while playing ^^ pressing randomly Q is weird, never did that ^^ maybe just change the button then? I'm not sure about game engine possibilities but if images can't go there, we can always use silhouette made from UI colour (like holographic thingie), then we'd use small symbols or something

Kreative

Post by Kreative »

I love Paradox's armoury menu mockup back on the TremZ forums. The way it would work seemed very modern, simple and fast.

I expanded upon it and created this quick and rough mockup.

Items you buy would show up on your character in the middle, and there would be two other menu's for armour and equipment. In the smaller circles like previously suggested the models of the item would rotate. Everything else would work basically how Paradox explained in his original mockup.

I also think that new huds should be more dynamic, they need more animations and all that pretty stuff, maybe some hud bobbing could be implemented in the future?

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

I have been promised health bars in the next alpha, so more animated things in the hud will be available :3.
I'm all for head bobbing (if it's just a small amount), but I'm not so sure about HUD bobbing (or if it's even possible with the engine).

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

Akele

Post by Akele »

I like the concept, so I decided to create a mock-up design for the alien evolution GUI.

http://i.imgur.com/WLKeq.jpg

Concept: Bars of glow (from Granger to Basilisk) indicate stage of evolution you currently are in, to neglect the selection of devolving. Evolution which cannot but obtained yet due to stage requirement or lack of evolution points have black and white portrait and model. Center display of selected alien has same effect as portrait, and displays message of "requires stage 3" or "not enough evolution points"; also the model will be an actual dynamic model, either rotating slowly, or in idle animation (bobbing up and down etc.), or even both. Everything besides tyrant, goon, and dretch are place holders; the advanced goon portrait is a concept, indicating advanced evolution (+), but I'd like to replace it with an actual advanced goon portrait, preferably with a different more "epic" pose, the + sign may stay even with changes to indicate advanced version. I think that's about it.

Comments and criticism would be great.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Nice. Interesting design but a lot of players will rarely see it. We have equipment binds and evolve binds… that said, for the players who don't (yet) have these, some improvements over what we have should be made anyway.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!