Map Test Server

Ask questions about mapping in general, and show off your in-progress work.
Viech
Project Head

Map Test Server

Post by Viech »

The server is currently offline. Post in this thread if you think it's time for a resurrection.

The Map Test Server allows you to upload maps for a public gameplay test. The web interface is located here.

The server shall allow map developers to do quick updates to their maps, enable players to check out new maps with autodownload and give server admins a repository of clean maps, as the pk3 files are checked for necessary files and valid pathes upon upload. If you upload a map on the server you will also get a direct download link for it that you can use to publish your map in this subforum.

The pk3 check is strict (whitelisting) so if your map contains any legitimate files that aren't accepted by the map submition script, copy the error lines over here.

The following stuff is planned for the future:

• Detailed list of maps with statistics for each version

• Get a subdomain like maptest.unvanquished.net for the web interface

KenuR
Tyrant

Re: Map Test Server

Post by KenuR »

This is pretty cool! Well done.

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Awesome ! ;) I am asking myself if this service is for new original map only, or if we can upload some old good map like e.g. ancient remains, meep b2, thermal, pulse, metro, hamunaptra, volcano ... or if their place are on another server. What is your opinion ?

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

ancient remains, meep b2, thermal, pulse, metro, hamunaptra, volcano

Humanaptra is already in the default set, but I would love to see the other maps on the server.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Tom wrote:

Awesome ! ;) I am asking myself if this service is for new original map only, or if we can upload some old good map like e.g. ancient remains, meep b2, thermal, pulse, metro, hamunaptra, volcano ... or if there place are on another server. What is your opinion ?

The server is basically for Unvanquished maps in development or Tremulous maps that are pending conversion to Unvanquished and need to be tested with the new gameplay. Tremulous players tend to be rather unadaptive and critical about new maps so the idea is that by playing on the server you will only see a handful of maps over and over again just like on your favorite server - with the difference that the maps in question are those that you'd normally vote against out of your self-imposed unfamiliarity. :rolleyes:

Someone could host a server running all the classics but I really hope our community will accept the new maps instead. Not just because I personally have had enough of ATCS and its 128 pixel textures but also because we will attract more people if our game looks like we're living in the twenty-first century. :D

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Thank you for the clarification about the purpose of your server, it is an excellent initiative.

I agree with your comment about the modernity of these old maps, where I disagree is when you anticipate my tastes, I played Tremulous from 2006 to 2009 and I never liked playing a handful of maps again and again, on the contrary I always felt a deep sadness in seeing the maps that I loved not being played. All those maps made by the community: original or adapted, from Gloom and others, there gameplay was sometimes uncertain but their creativity was remarkable. No sir I am definitely not of those who zap novelty. What would I do here otherwise ? ;)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Tom wrote:

where I disagree is when you anticipate my tastes, I played Tremulous from 2006 to 2009 and I never liked playing a handful of maps again and again, on the contrary I always felt a deep sadness in seeing the maps that I loved not being played. All those maps made by the community: original or adapted, from Gloom and others, there gameplay was sometimes uncertain but their creativity was remarkable. No sir I am definitely not of those who zap novelty. What would I do here otherwise ? ;)

I fear you might have gotten me wrong! I wasn't refering to you specifically ("you" was supposed to be an indefinite pronoun). As you said yourself, the fact that you are here clearly shows that you are not among those who fear progress. :D

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Oops, you're right, I have misunderstood! (I'm not very fluent in english). :p

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

@Tom I for one would love to see a server devoted to hosting the rarely-played classic maps like those you mentioned!

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I don't want to be a jerk, but there is a very good reason some of those maps are rarely played :p