Your Pootle instance is broken!

Discuss clans, events, servers, and more!
Superuser

Your Pootle instance is broken!

Post by Superuser »

This isn't the first time I've had problems with Crapootle. :mad: UFO: Alien Invasion suffered from similar, yet not as extreme issues, which eventually led to me dropping out of the translation effort (though it was mainly the fact that there was no centralised repository of translations so we couldn't collaborate, a wholly different issue from this).

Well, so I registered a new account as 'Superuser' and... I was not allowed to log into it. Nothing. Didn't even get a confirmation email. When I did try to log in, at first it spat out a generic error. On a second attempt, it told me my account was inactive. What on earth is going on?! :mad:

My credentials in open source translation can be seen here. I have a strong commitment to creating consistent, high-quality translations. Though I have indeed left some translations incomplete (UFO:AI due to poor infrastructure, Xonotic due to being busy, FreeCol because it's a massive set of strings), I generally deliver, and very well too. OpenTTD is probably my finest work, which is still a work in progress. Lichess (HTML5 chess - the very best on the web!) a close second, with a very thoroughly reviewed and re-reviewed translation that has been through a number of iterations. Above all, I offer consistency, which most OSS translators seem to ignore as an aspect of high-quality work.

But when the system is broken, I cannot work on the greatness that is Unvanquished. I seriously wish you installed a Transifex instance instead! What a reliable, fine system that is...

PS: the account 'Root' is also mine, I created it in my frustration at Pootle's refusal to operate for me. Please delete it.

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Re: Your Pootle instance is broken!

Post by Gireen »

hi,
thanks for your interest to help making Unvanquished better. :)
Since a server move and update(?) the login of pootle seems to be broken. This is not yet solved cause no one had the time to look closer at this problem. But i hope someone can get on it in the next few days/weeks.

The what you mention is commercial software. For me this is no alternative for a open source project, especially cause we already have pootle which worked without problems the months before.

In this sense. Don't worry be patient. :)

btw Which Languages you Translate?

fear ma engrish :granger:

Superuser

Post by Superuser »

Gireen wrote:

hi,
thanks for your interest to help making Unvanquished better. :)
Since a server move and update(?) the login of pootle seems to be broken. This is not yet solved cause no one had the time to look closer at this problem. But i hope someone can get on it in the next few days/weeks.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate the (very!) quick response. :)

Gireen wrote:

The what you mention is commercial software. For me this is no alternative for a open source project, especially cause we already have pootle which worked without problems the months before.

Transifex actually has a fully open source backend AND frontend that you can host yourself, like the Xfce project does. It's made by open source celebrity programmer Evan Prodromou who also brought us Wikitravel (HUGE website, though I use its fork Wikivoyage now as my tourism guide), Status.net and a Python library or two you may have just used. Transifex.com is just the hosted version of it from which the company makes money. Creating open source software projects on it is free, proprietary software is not (and that's how the company makes its money).

Anyway, Pootle is fine for now... but I've had lots of bad experiences with it in the past, especially in how it tends to break when you upload your .po files to it (Transifex actually checks them for validity, et al), and how annoyingly poor the online interface is... but damn it, this brilliant, brilliant game needs to be appreciated by more people, even if I have to put up with Pootle's crap!

Also, erm, to be fair, you DID purchase a vBulletin license when phpBB/SMF/MyBB are outstanding, standards-compliant replacements for it. But you needn't worry. Transifex is free and open source under the GNU GPL 2. Its source code is available here.

In case you ever consider upgrading your internationalisation infrastructure - just remember, Transifex is there for the rescue! :D

Gireen wrote:

btw Which Languages you Translate?

As the link to my credentials say, it is Greek. Since you support the Cyrillic alphabet already (or so I assume, I saw a number of Slavic languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet up on Pootle), you probably support Greek too. Greek is supported by the font you are using, right?

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I'll look into adding Transifex in a few days if Pootle is not fixed. Thanks for letting us know about it.

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

What about using a proprietary or a Cloud solution? If it fails, fixing it is a matter of calling support.