Set g_unlagged to 0 on EU server?

Discuss clans, events, servers, and more!
Forty-Two
Mantis

Re: Set g_unlagged to 0 on EU server?

Post by Forty-Two »

Unlagged is a setting that attempts to reduce the effect ping has on gameplay. While it does succeed in this goal, it also makes aiming a lot easier, because the effective hitboxes are bigger, and you can hit where your opponent used to be, which affects the balance and general 'feel' of the game. Lagged basically means this setting is turned off: normal hitboxes, but no lag compensation. This means that people with a low ping will have an advantage over people with a high ping, because people with high pings will have to aim in front of their target. Pings of 75 and above will notice this, below that the delay is generally so negligible that you won't really have to compensate. Personally, I'd still prefer lagged with pings up to 150, but that's just my preference. I'm not going to have a "fuck unlagged" post: if you're into unlagged, then by all means play it, just don't try to make me do the same.
So your question can be answered in two ways, really. Unlagged players will say unlagged will let you hit things, because they're used to aiming for unlagged. Hitting at lagged will be very hard for them. On the other hand, lagged players will say lagged will let you actually hit things, because hitting air doesn't count as a hit. Use whichever option you like best, and have fun with it.

Also, I disagree about the point made about Trem 1.1. Sure, it's a different game and all, but imo it'd be quite silly to disregard it as reference because of that. At the moment, all Unvanquished players/community members are people who used to play Tremulous or still do, and besides that, Unvanquished gameplay is obviously based on Tremulous. As GPP has little playerbase at the moment (at least the times I checked), I'm using 1.1 for reference here. And whatever preference they had in Tremulous, they will take with them to Unvanquished, if they go here. For lagged players getting hit by things that shouldn't hit them, by their standards, is just as much frustrating as not hitting things they think they're hitting is for unlagged players. Surely the preference of the majority of the target audience of a server, in this case European players, will matter in this regard? Or would you say "you're not supposed to like this setting, go like the other one"?

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Comet

Post by Comet »

I love what you are saying forty-two, but I simply don't think it's possible.

Unlagged is a major pain, a lot of the time. I've played gpp since it came out so I would know when I say that unlagged feels very unresponsive, specifically with weapons like mass driver, rifle, and THE SHOTGUN. I don't want to even explain how retarded the shotgun is on unlagged, but I feel like it definetally needs some major changes or something.

That being said, I personally don't care for unlagged but I understand why it is needed. I'm not used to gpp and actually do better in 1.1, but I don't want to play a game where I am only good because I have t1 connection speed. I don't like that at all. I get killed while behind walls all of the time, but the thing that really makes it acceptable for me is that I can do that to the enemies as well. You understand where I'm coming from, right?

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Comet wrote:

I love what you are saying forty-two, but I simply don't think it's possible.

It really is, it's just up to who ever has the rcon to turn unlagged off.

That being said GPP changes have been base around unlagged so when you use lagged in unvanquished or the GPP it is stupid how much hits don't hit. (Coming from a 1.1 player of a lagged server who enjoyed it immensely)

On Aussie Assault even did a trial on lagged, and found it to be too frustrating.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

If you want it back so much, just do cg_unlagged 0 and you'll have to aim ahead. Its that simple. I think having lagged drives people away, previous lagged aussie assault drove away players from uv that didnt want to verse bots.

@khaoz:

On Aussie Assault even did a trial on lagged, and found it to be too frustrating.

I honestly didn't except the fact pan still managed to md whore me, and my hits aren't guaranteed [as much as now].
Then again, it kinda had 1.1 ranges and widths at the time, so i have to agree on this.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

arf
Dretch

Post by arf »

GPP does a decent job balancing unlagged. Most of the negative stigma comes from how horrible it was in 1.1
But indeed the unresponsiveness prevails. If there was a balance mod for lagged, I would play it.

Beating the dead horse:
Overall I think lagged 1.1 was better, though my opinion is distorted because we had more players then.
80-120 ping wasn't bad once you got used to leading. And there were plenty of US players that preferred unlagged off. Most eventually left or assimilated.

My only legit complaint is that it increased the learning curve... something we already have too much of.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

arf wrote:

GPP does a decent job balancing unlagged.

I'm not so sure of that. The pounce is OP especially, usually people with pings higher than me lose to me all the time. Playing with low ping [100 on asia] makes pounce whoring too easy, it makes me wonder how Americans on US find it so hard to pounce people correctly.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

PaN61

Post by PaN61 »

Lagged is where you actually need to aim at the alien or human to kill it (Hurp Durp). Unlagged is for people that can't be bothered or have bad aim resulting them needing to not even aim at the enemy to kill it. Also when you say that lagged isn't fair with 50+ ping, think again. I play with 100 ping on lagged and it doesn't effect me nor would I call it unfair.

I've always preferred lagged over unlagged. I can also list why I think this.

Kirs wrote:

Fuck lagged really.

Players that prefer lagged over unlagged (Like myself) can just say the complete opposite. This would lead to a flame war, and surely everyone here doesn't want that to happen.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Actually, you're experienced with lagged, so you would definately prefer it. Then again, newbies have no idea what this unlagged shit is about.

Lagged is where you actually need to aim at the alien or human to kill it (Hurp Durp). Unlagged is for people that can't be bothered or have bad aim resulting them needing to not even aim at the enemy to kill it.

You're wrong about lagged. Either ur lucky to have good internet but doesnt show up, or my internet is so shit all the stats lie. I have to aim ahead of a dretch about one and a quater for it to hit the backside of it. I recorded a demo last time, i think it was with you, and i shot that much, in the demo it showed up as i shot you barely at the bum.
Unlagged basically [from what i know of currently] is serverside that calculates the hit prediction based on the person's ping. This probably explains why when you warp or when your ping is unstable, you can't ever hit anything as easily. Basically, you have to aim at the target [if your internet is stable] and you'll get the shot. Lagged on the other hand depends on your ping. Meaning people with pings such as 20 don't even need unlagged.
Wait, have i said this before?

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Comet

Post by Comet »

@Khaoz

Way to take what I said completely out of context. I meant that unlagged evens the game out and I don't see it ever happening.

@Pan

Don't say that you don't have to aim to hit people on both lagged and unlagged. That is extremely ignorant.

@ViruS

+1

PaN61

Post by PaN61 »

I'm not saying that you don't have to aim at both lagged and unlagged. I will further explain the comment I made.

First, the comment was mainly a general comment. For Example, if you had 0-50 ping on lagged, you will need to aim at the model which contains the hitbox within it. Unlagged with the same ping (With my experience with unlagged), would make the hitbox go behind the player, no matter what ping you have. Ofcourse the ping in lagged would effect the "aiming at the model". The latency from you gets sent to the server, and for how long that took the server to receive it would indicate when it would register in-game. For example, you had 200 ping, ofcourse it would take longer to register in-game from when you executed the attack resulting in you needing to aim ahead of the target to hit it with the 200 ping on lagged. Unlagged however, has the hitbox behind the player based on your latency from the server. Which technically means you don't aim at the actual model, but you aim at the hitbox which is behind the player.

From my experience with playing on both, that's why I said you don't have to aim for unlagged, and you have to aim for lagged. As you have to aim at the player in relation to your latency on lagged. While on unlagged you aren't aiming at the model, but the hitbox which is behind the player based on your latency. So it was more of a hitbox thing. Unlagged is easier because of this, while on lagged it was more challenging which I preferred. And IMO, I've also noticed dodging in unlagged has become almost useless unless you can strafe jump properly (for humans), or pounce-strafe (for aliens), while on lagged I was able to dodge more.