Please add an FOV slider and higher options for Shadow settings

Request new features or present your ideas.
RaptorHunter182

Please add an FOV slider and higher options for Shadow settings

Post by RaptorHunter182 »

I would love to see an FOV slider added as the FOV feels a bit too zoomed in for me personally and currently there is no way to change your FOV (that I know of).

I would also like to see more graphics settings available to take advantage of stronger hardware. For example, the highest Shadow setting in the game is simply titled "Blobs (low)". It is called Low but there isn't even a Medium or High setting available, so I would like to see those added in.

PhantomFang
Mantis
Clan: LBF

Re: Please add an FOV slider and higher options for Shadow settings

Post by PhantomFang »

Hello.
There is a command for change the FOV.
I don't remember it, but I'm sure that it is easy to find it.
Try something like that :
/sg_
/cg_
/g
And something like FOV

Some times ago, there was a menu for change it. But it have been removed because a patently change the FOV was cheat :D
(with a big FOV you canssee more)

For the graphics settings, there is a problem : we can't do real settings : the maps use different textures, bad textures, good textures, 3d textures act..
then we can't really make real settings for this.

For the "shadows" maybe it is easy. I don't have the UI code under my eyes ( I'm in my bed with my phone) but, I'm sure it is changeable. Maybe it is juste a value XD

All this for say you : there is a command for change the FOV (toworrow if I remember this I will post it) and there where a menu for that.

For the graphics, don't wait something incredible.
for example : on my computer I have the graphics on ultra : the textures are bad in practically all the maps.
We can put all the settings we want, the maps have to follow.

I can add the shadow setting on my to-do list.

RaptorHunter182

I tried all of those and none of them worked. I am familiar with cg_fov because of Quake but perhaps the option to even do it from the console was removed because it was considered a cheat. It should be added back in though; not sure why increasing the fov would be considered a cheat. Maybe just have the slider go from 75 to 120 or something and not allow values outside of that. Either way players should at least be given the option.

PhantomFang
Mantis

Post by PhantomFang »

I say you than the command exist. And it is not /cg_fov
I used this command this day. Then belive me it exist. I just don't remember it.
belive me :)

Well, as I said, I will put the command this day. (wel I said tomorrow, but we are tomorrow...)

Well the man that removed the FOV menu form the menus do not removed the code. He just put it in comment.

If you use a big FOV, you can see more. And some players do it.

RaptorHunter182

If you use a big FOV, you can see more. And some players do it.

Yes...that is the whole point lol. Right now the camera is a bit too zoomed in for my liking. I usually play on 100 FOV (although depending on the game it is somewhere between 95-110). Increasing the FOV is not a cheat it is just a basic gameplay option present in most games nowadays. As long as the FOV isn't something crazy like above 120 I don't see how it is a problem to increase it. It doesn't need to be insanely zoomed out players just need to be given the option to increase it a bit if they so desire. Besides, if you can already do it from the console, why not just add it as an actual option in the UI?

Apart from that, Unvanquished is not some high-end Triple-A E-Sports title. The value of satisfying players by giving them the option to change their FOV outweighs the detriment of any possible "cheating" that could happen from increasing it, which like I said before isn't a even a thing unless the FOV is unreasonably high.

PhantomFang
Mantis

Post by PhantomFang »

By default it is around 90 I think.

Beuah? Unv is a great game, with a great quality! :)

Well, I'm agree with you it is stupid to remove th FOV menu. This was 2 years ago. I wasn't here.

I can try to put it back. But idk if the PR will be accepted.

of course, I will put some limits, but if with the command line we can put 150... It is stupid.
You know, we can say that there are different security level of the password :

• the password directly in the code, bad security but no ppl have the idea of go in the code for have it
  • and here a real security.

I thinktthat it is the same think for the FOV. Who know about this command? See : you were not sure if there where this command.

And maybe the devs are too lazy for remove it from the code? XD Enyway. It is a bad idea to remove it.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

There is no other shadow option that works, having something better than what we have would require an higky skilled engineer to work fulltime for days to contribute new code.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent. The Crunch tool is awesome!

PhantomFang
Mantis

Post by PhantomFang »

OK. Then I can do nothing about the shadow.

PhantomFang
Mantis

Post by PhantomFang »

@RaptorHunter182 :

cg_fov_builder cvar - "0.000000" - float - field of view (degrees) for Granger
cg_fov_human cvar - "0.000000" - float - field of view (degrees) for humans
cg_fov_level0 cvar - "0.000000" - float - field of view (degrees) for Dretch
cg_fov_level1 cvar - "0.000000" - float - field of view (degrees) for Mantis
cg_fov_level2 cvar - "0.000000" - float - field of view (degrees) for Marauder
cg_fov_level3 cvar - "0.000000" - float - field of view (degrees) for Dragoon