Current version 0.54

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
L##B##

Current version 0.54

Post by L##B## »

Hey guys,

I guess it's time to spent my 5 cents on Unvanquished.
You did a really good job in the last months/years.

* Tyrants? They are working fine now (on Sweets server). 400hp, better chance to hit, better healing. Combined with a healing spot they become very hard to kill. Good for defending and crushing human defenses with brute force. In most cases the advanced Dragoon is still a better choice but this depends on the its speed and barb attack. Still: The Tyrants are fine like they are now. You can mark the "Gore" wining as "obsolete".

* Bot Commands: Really great job. Playing 2 vs 2 is now really cool. You can use the bots as backup for defending the base or rushing with you. That a really cool feature.

* Maps? I guess there are hundreds of maps. Some are crap, some are really fun. Everybody will find his own maps ;-)
Some of them have real cool styles.

* Players? Yes, there could be even more players but nearly everyday you find some guys to play with. Yesterday I stopped playing a around 1 am for going to bed but on 2 am I still played with three guys from France.

* Game balance? Hmmm ... I guess this depends on the map. Some maps favor the one, others favor the other side. I guess its fine. As a mostly alien player, I'm sometimes pissed of maps that have obstacles in the alien base that can be reached by jet pack but the bots cannot reach it. When you play with many players - it's ok - but in a 1:1 or 2:2 you'll die as an alien when a jet pack human attacks while you are also attacking.
But hey - that's ok. I'm playing Unvanquished for about a year and the game has become better and better. Keep on doing this great job.

If I had three wishes:
* Alien bot should be able to wallwalk
* Better chat function
* Human flamethrower is a bit weak - remember, an alien players says this ;-)

Sweet
Dretch

Re: Current version 0.54

Post by Sweet »

You did a really good job in the last months/years.

I guess there are hundreds of maps.

312 that I know of. Maybe half of them are usable for serious games.

Game balance? Hmmm ... I guess this depends on the map. Some maps favor the one, others favor the other side.

That is one reason why I think we need as many maps as we can get. Balance needs to be tested in lots of different situations.

but in a 1:1 or 2:2 you'll die as an alien when a jet pack human attacks while you are also attacking.

This troubles me too. I want the game to be fun in 1:1 or 2:2 or even 1:3.

Some experiments were made to attack this problem. Sadly, our current bot navigation code does not easily allow for walking on walls.