From an old Tremulous player

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
FisherP

From an old Tremulous player

Post by FisherP »

I played Tremulous for years until it started to fall apart at the seams. I have to say that I'm looking the direction that you took with the game. I haven't really played it enough to get the game play changes well enough but the graphic is good, the animations the maps. From what I've seen its quite good.

The one thing which is hard to get used to though is the 90 minute games. So far I've had two games lasting 90 minutes and while they were on a server that was so far away that lag amongst made it unplayable when the turrets were firing it was fun.

The other day I played a game with three others, two of them old time players as well, and they were so excited to see the game and the work that's been done.

zest

Re: From an old Tremulous player

Post by zest »

im also an old time trem player, despite the problems im having with the software and such, im still on the edge of my seat to enjoy this game and reflect on the good ol days.

Comet_
Mantis

Post by Comet_ »

FisherP wrote:

The one thing which is hard to get used to though is the 90 minute games. So far I've had two games lasting 90 minutes and while they were on a server that was so far away that lag amongst made it unplayable when the turrets were firing it was fun.

Greetings FisherP! Nice to see you again. I do remember you from 1.1 I believe! haha

Both of these complaints are valid and are referenced a bunch. The 90 minute games has been a problem with Tremulous as a game. Both in 1.1 and 1.2 this has been a thing because the base is very powerful and hard to crack with good builders. So you seeing this problem isn't a big surprise given that the gameplay hasn't been altered much since they took GPP and ran away with it to make this game (not to invalidate the gameplay changes that have been made up to this point, but the game is still very reminiscent in terms of playstyle, sounds, and gameplay of its predecessor).

It appears, as of making this post, that they brought back the Official US server, so, assuming you are US, you can try again and hopefully your experience won't be as tainted by lag as the last time.

Good to see some more trem geezers like myself, love the feedback!

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

:beer:

FisherP

Post by FisherP »

@Comet_ I think I remember you too from those 1.1 days, long time no see.

I'm not really complaining about the game, only that there's no servers closer by. A couple of friends are looking at getting a server up and running but are having a couple of difficulties. I won't bother this thread with those troubles though. I figure that you wouldn't mind a server popping up in Australia (where I'm from) since we really wouldn't be competing for the same players. I'm sure that people in the US or Europe would enjoy playing on 300+ ping just as much as we do (ok for the lulz, but not for a real game)

The only thing that was on my mind is the adjustment to a potentially never ending game. On Trem there was Sudden Death which was set at a firm duration, I knew that a full game of trem would last X minutes (defined in config). I get the feeling that SD is not a part of the mechanics of this game and I expect that eventually the drills etc do a similar job. This is all fine, it'll just be an adjustment since Unv is a different game to Trem. I haven't really had a good opportunity to play a game vs real people so I can't comment one way or the other on the game mechanics.

Anyway, we really enjoyed playing the game when we did, and hopefully we'll be able to drag some others back into it.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I remember you! Were you part of the group who made those new GPP sounds? Also, yeah, long dragged out games are no fun. We hope to get the average game time to be betwen 20 to 30 min.

FisherP

Post by FisherP »

Ishq wrote:

I remember you! Were you part of the group who made those new GPP sounds?.

I was a part of that group... Only if you have good memories :-P

Yeah, I got tired of people saying that someone would make new sounds so I broke out audacity and went looking on the net for sounds with compatible licences. I don't think any of my sounds survived to be included in this game did they?

I'm looking forward to playing good games with real people, that will be the real test.

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Haha, I remember too. There was this big page on Tremulous website's wiki with the progress.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hello FischerP, is your name a reference to FischerZ? :smile:

The game time is something we would want much shorter. I guess this will resolve itself with other (balance) issues we're currently facing. At the moment we can control at what time certain weapons are unlocked on average but what we can't quite control yet is the amount of buildables on the map depending on how much the teams focus on building or fighting.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction