Booster ideas

Request new features or present your ideas.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Booster ideas

Post by kharnov »

We discussed a few ideas on IRC today regarding the booster. Here's a summary.

1. The booster should be able to be built on walls and ceilings. It's pretty obvious.

2. Boosters should give you poison from a range instead of at contact. The range can possibly be half the healing range.

3. Let the booster enhance the regeneration of surrounding alien structures. Probably shouldn't stack.

4. Have the booster poison the attacks of hive swarms. Debatable.

5. Dragoons standing near a booster should regenerate barbs faster. Seems legit.

Ingar
Mapper

Re: Booster ideas

Post by Ingar »

1. Yes
  2. No, while healing powers are generally of the telepathic kimd, poison powers suck the life out of you. Sucking requires physical contact.
  3. Yes
  4. Only swarms within range of the booster?
  5. Yes
kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Oh no Ingar, I didn't mean giving humans poison, I meant giving aliens poison for their attacks. The reason for this was that it gets very annoying for multiple aliens to use a booster at once, while multiple humans can very easily use the same armory.

As for the hives, I guess only for hives within range of the booster.

Ingar
Mapper

Post by Ingar »

I did mean aliens getting poison from the booster, but I was thinking rather wide-range. Short-range, like the armoury could be nice.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Yeah, that's what I meant. Poison you nearby, not across the room. Armory range.

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

I agree with all those ideas. :marauder:

Comet_
Mantis

Post by Comet_ »

I like all of this; I think they are all wonderful ideas, but I would like to bring up a brief point:

It sounds like we might be adding a lot of utility to the booster that would make booster an even more critical part of the aliens ensemble. Thus, the opportunity cost of not having a booster grows as it gains more utility meaning that s2 aliens would technically be weaker and weaker without it as its effectiveness increases. Perhaps it's worth consideration as to which buildings can gain these abilities. I think the barb regen should happen wherever there is "creep" or perhaps with eggs; similar to the overmind heal. That would make it so booster is less critical to gameplay (albeit still very critical for poison/healrate).

krtv`

Post by krtv` »

i really like the idea of booster giving hives poison, would help make alien bases a bit tougher. maybe even give it some more upgrades, such as increased range.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

I suppose the booster could take on a similar role that a defense computer had for human bases back on GPP? Or would this be overloading it with too many purposes?