Overmind (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Overmind (2)

Post by Viech »

This is really odd. The normals of the mesh's surfaces seem to have the same yaw (which is technically incorrect), yet the normal map appears to "solve" this somehow. With the normal map it doesn't look very wrong at a glance, though I'd like to have a look at the situation ingame. (kharnov: Can you send me the pk3?)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I tested with kharnov's pk3:

• His debug print is bugged. The normals on the mesh are correct.

• The normal map looks good, too. Area B is the result of three light sources meeting roughly in that spot. This is no good place to validate shading. (I should've known, given that it's my map. :tongue: )

• Totally unrelated reminder to self: r_showLightGrid crashes here.

So the only thing that could possible improve the Overmind is a contrast reduction in the diffuse map as outlined in an earlier post; Everything else is fine. Also, someone needs to rotate the model 90° CW. (Or add support for rotation to the model config files.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

In the meantime, I added support for model rotation to the gamelogic, so no need to rotate the mesh. I also opened an issue for the r_showLightGrid crash.

RXMT, could you make the last batch of improvments to the diffuse map and issue a license? I'd really like to see the OM ingame soon. :smile:

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

I wasn't in town for christmas, I'm back and I'll be working on the diffuse.

-R.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

RXMT wrote:

-R.

:thumbup:

Did you think about the human soldier too?

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

kharnov wrote:
RXMT wrote:

-R.

:thumbup:

Did you think about the human soldier too?

Yes! I'll start tomorrow! I inspected the files before christmas, have to look at it again because I'll have some questions :-D

Here is the new diffuse. It might give a better result then the other version with cavity map added as an overlay

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b0cgj ... useNew.tga

-R.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Can someone put this ingame and provide a pk3? I'll be busy with spiker, repeater and other things this month.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The Overmind is alive and well and staring at you with its magnificent eye!