Lucifer Cannon

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Geno527
Dretch

Re: Lucifer Cannon

Post by Geno527 »

Hi,

With the current design it's very hard to do something capable to look like the counterpart of the tyrant :/. Beacause it always look more like a plasma rifle (and also he is very similar to the Lasgun viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1078 you already have.) I know this gun isn't in higher priority so, I've made some research on how should look the most powerfull weapon of Unvanquished (and because I want to do my best ^^).

If you want something not very big, the Arc Beam from Fear 3 is a good exemple of a very powerfull and a bit experimental but still very realistic weapon :

But in every "realistic" shooter, the most powerfull weapons are always machine gun or rocket launcher, and they take a bigger part of the screen , here is an exemple of the rocket launcher from FEAR 3 :

I've take FEAR as ref beacause their concept fit with your artistic direction (more than any UT concept ^^). But I will of course do another design (I will not do the exact same thing as FEAR of course).

So let me know what you think about this,

Have a nice day !

(and sorry for my english I'm on my phone in the metro, so I can't really check my spelling.)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

You have a point there! I think we can even use your current model as our Pulse Rifle, a weapon that we wanted to remodel at some point anyway. The Pulse Rifle has no concept but I can show you the current placeholder if you decide to take a look. It shoots energy/plasma/etc. projectiles at a decent rate that travel through the air rather slowly, very similiar to the Quake 3 plasma rifle. Note that unlike the placeholder the Pulse Rifle should not have a scope.

Feel free to continue your new Lucifer Cannon in this thread. If you decide to create a Pulse Rifle from the current model, continue to use this thread and I'll rename it for you (and provide more feedback to push the current model in this new direction).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Geno527
Dretch

Post by Geno527 »

That's a very good idea :). I would love to do both, it would be a shame to throw away what I've done ^^.
So, I'm waiting for your feedback for the new Pulse Rifle :).

For the Lucifer canon, you prefer the "experimental and not so "heavy" design ? Or the heavy one who take a bigger part of the screen (it can have a "experimental" look of course) ? I will first make a concept first, so maybe we should move the thread in the concept section ?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I think this still applies to the Pulse Rifle:

Viech wrote:
  • As opposed to the concept, you could try to make the barrel front align with the case front (as opposed to the barrel sticking out). I personally find that the current barrel gives the gun an unique character, but friends have voiced that it reduces the "blaster-likeness" of the gun. Afterwards, you could also try to increase weapon length a bit.

• The top, front part of the case seems to be the only part that's extremely smooth, creating a bit of a hot-dog look. Maybe make it as edgy as the rest of the gun.

Is this sufficient for another iteration? You can of course do whatever else comes to your mind.

I opened a concept thread for the Lucifer Cannon as well as a poll/discussion about its heavyness that is going to run for two days. Also, let's use this thread for further progress on the Pulse Rifle, so people aren't confused by the constant mentions of "Lucifer Cannon" in here. :wink:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Geno527
Dretch

Post by Geno527 »

Ok, thanks for your feedback, and thanks for the poll :D