XQF server browser 1.0.6 with Unvanquished support

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
illwieckz
Project Head

XQF server browser 1.0.6 with Unvanquished support

Post by illwieckz »

Hi, I revived the good old XQF project that was a popular game server browser some years ago. :granger:

I have rewriten some deprecated code (many old things remaining) to allow it to compile and to be packaged by modern GNU/Linux distros. I have added many games, and Unvanquished is one of them. The 1.0.6 version was published October 26, 2014.

As you can see in this picture, I have added some Tremulous derivatives, not only Unvanquished, since some people in this forum have expressed this need. :wink:

You can read the official announcement here: http://www.linuxgames.com/xqf/
and a detailed changelog here : News

The source code has been moved to GitHub : https://github.com/XQF/xqf/ , the issues list too.

For historic reason, it’s a GNU/Linux software only. XQF 1.0.6 is not already distributed by Debian and Ubuntu but they already have compiled it, so you can get it here for Debian (see the bottom of the page) or here for Ubuntu (see the “Builds” list on the right) for many platforms.

This release does not aim to be perfect, but to revive a project that was dormant since 2008 (last official announce in 2006 !), therefore, I invite you to test and report bugs you find, and if you know how to correct it, do not hesitate to fork the repo and suggest fixes. :wink:

Viech
Project Head

Re: XQF server browser 1.0.6 with Unvanquished support

Post by Viech »

Hey, this looks neat! If you want to, I can maintain an archlinux package in the user repository (my packages). :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Good idea, I recommend you to use this commit: https://github.com/XQF/xqf/commit/9e0e5 ... b14ea0ef9f

It is the first one after the 1.0.6.2 release, it fixes the LAN server browsing for Unvanquished (XQF 1.0.6 browses already well internet servers), and because it is the first commit after the release and because it changed only that, you know it is as stable as the release. :wink:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Hi Viech, someone (Barto) in the Smokin' Guns forum said it was interrested for an Arch package. Also, I see there is already two outdated XQF package in AUR: xqf and xqf-svn. Both maintainers were notified about the 1.0.6 release and the repository migration. :wink:

You are not alone. :grin:

If you want more information, you are welcome to this ticket: https://github.com/XQF/xqf/issues/95 :thumbup:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

If there are others willing to maintain the package I won't fight about it, but in case you need me to adopt it at some point feel free to drop me a line.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

OK. There is now an Arch xqf-git package. This one will be very unstable, I hope there will be soon a stable xqf package, it depends on what the other guy will do. :smile:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Hi, good news for you, Slash Bunny has adopted the xqf, xqf-git, qstat and qstat-svn packages on AUR and fixed the build for ArchLinux. :wink:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yay! :smile: