Human armor

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Human armor

Post by kharnov »

A while ago we had a discussion regarding modifying the pieces of armor on the human model. The consensus was that the "unarmored" model should have some pieces of armor, so that he isn't walking in chainmail pajamas. He also has a gigantic crotch bulge that we wanted to hide. In addition, we wanted to distinguish the light and medium armors. I believe gavlig had intended to do this and didn't get around to it, so I took it up.

Here is the commit: https://github.com/Unvanquished/Unvanqu ... 443040d3cd

I've taken some time to annotate the files, so that you now know which piece does what. To remove a piece, simply replace the value with "gfx/null" and it will disappear. I've also presented some default values that I think look okay, but please feel free to change or reset them as you wish.

As follows, here is my proposed "unarmored" human, as well as light and medium armor. Standard human comes with boots and a vest. Light armor adds knee/shoulder pads and a helmet. Medium armor adds arm/hip guards.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Human armor

Post by Viech »

Looking good to me! We'll have to get this in line with the female soldier but from what I know that should be possible. I'm fine with your defaults going in the next release regardless.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Yes, kharnov, you're the man!!

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

As part of making the human male soldier not look like a dweeb, I think we should use all resources available to us. For instance, Casey made a very nice improvement on Stannum's armor for his female soldier. Thankfully, these armor textures will work on the male soldier as well. For them to work, you only need to flip them horizontally (for the body armor diffuse/spec/norm) or vertically (for the helmet diffuse/spec/norm). Also, the texture will need to be made red for the medium armor. This definitely needs to go into this release.

You can find the textures in this pk3: http://www.unvanquished.net/~modi/fem_armor.pk3

Here are comparisons of the diffuse maps, flipped where appropriate. You can see that the Casey textures are far less noisy.

Old body armor:

New body armor:

Old helmet:

New helmet:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

kharnov, can you elaborate on the state of this thread? Were the latest modifications inlucded? Should they be? Is there a properly versioned pk3 of them?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Everything is already in. The thread can be marked as complete.