Create a radiant entities.def

Maps and texture sets.
Viech
Project Head

Create a radiant entities.def

Post by Viech »

We are in need of a clean, readable and up-to-date GTKRadiant/NetRadiant entity definition file that is worth maintaining. The currently available versions use legacy names for certain entities that have been rewritten and renamed by Tim, leading to quite a lot of console spam when used. There are also a few currently undocumented entity features that need to be made available to mappers. I can help adding those feature once a clean version of the file exists to start with.

Once we have the entities.def ready I plan to maintain a git repository of radiant support files (i.e. the content of the "unvanquished.game" directory) to provide a unified development environment to Unvanquished mappers, including default compile options for a more consistent look of our maps. I will make the "common" shader package a part of Unvanquished and clean it up as well, so that mappers will only need to unpack the support files on top of a radiant installation to get started. If we came this far we can ask the radiant developers to officially support Unvanquished. In the future this will allow us to extend the master branch of the editors with features unique to the Dæmon engine, such as triggering multiple targets with different names.

Be aware that this assignment requires quite a bit research on the wiki and possibly detective work on the entity handling code and Tim's commit history, in addition to learning about the definition file syntax and options. I can help filling in any gaps especially related to features only documented inside the code but I won't find the time to setup the skeleton.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Re: Create a radiant entities.def

Post by Viech »

Neumond has started working on this. Have a look at this branch. You can offer your support on IRC.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

neumond
Programmer

Post by neumond »

That can be considered done. :beer:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Cheers! And thanks a lot for going through this hell on earth that is refered to as the entitiy "documentation".