A small preview for Alpha 27

Maps and texture sets.
Viech
Project Head

A small preview for Alpha 27

Post by Viech »

So I'm currently preparing the shared texture packages and a few other map upgrades. While most of this aims to improve performance, map size and workflow, I just wanted to show you what it does to visual quality. :3

The first screenshot shows the current Parpax Delta 2 Revision D on Unvanquished Alpha 25.

The following screenshot was taken with the same setup, except for the following changes:

• r_gamma 1.3 → 1.0.

• r_specularScale 1.4 → 1.0.

• Parpax has been recompiled with »-gamma 1.45« to compensate for the normalized gamma and is using the compressed textures from the shared texture packages.

I have prepared a post that will guide you through the map upgrade process. I will release it as soon as I got rid of the last batch of issues, ideally shortly after Alpha 26 so that you have one month to complete your wizardry.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Re: A small preview for Alpha 27

Post by Viech »

Another experiment on Alpha 26 with »scale« instead of »gamma«:

• r_gamma 1.3 → 1.0.

• r_specularScale 1.4 → 1.0.

• Map recompiled with »-scale 2.0«

The result is a better brightness distribution and more intense colors (to the point where color grading isn't needed to compensate for washed out colors anymore, have a look at this shot with neutral color grading and compare the orange in the background with the original version).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction