Alpha 24 – download at your peril (probably)

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
DwarfVader
Mantis

Re: Alpha 24 – download at your peril (probably)

Post by DwarfVader »

it looks like my problem to join a team is only present on the training server (map station 15). i could play fine on the other servers. like a poster said before here the server maybee has crashed? can you restart the server/fix the issue?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Anomalous wrote:

I could add to download-pk3.sh support for downloading from our server (or a mirror)…

As Ishq mentioned, the parallel download is the main advantage here. (For instance I do get constant 40-50 KB/s of my usual 1.4 MB/s on unvanquished.net, reason unknown. I'd rather play sourceforge roulette…) The torrent downloader uses aria2 to profit from both web and regular seeds, but the web seeds alone are exactly a list of 24/7 mirrors of our game data, including unvanquished.net. If you prefer to go without the torrent protocol (or even without parallel downloads), you could still attempt to extract the webseeds from the torrent file and use curl or wget.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Fuma
Programmer

Post by Fuma »

majkifajki wrote:

You're gonna like it even more next release when we have compressed textures

I noticed, that with 3,5 GB of free RAM and 256 MB GPU, with r_compressed* all on 1, I get 4 GB of RAM usage and frequent "hangs" during walking the maps - prolly caused by lack of free RAM on GPU.

Is OpenGL texture compression working correctly?

You have to set r_ext_compressed_textures to 1 to enable runtime compression of our textures since we don't ship them in a gpu compatible compression format in this release.
This will cause a pretty large increase in load times though.

We plan on shipping precompressed versions of our textures in the next release to prevent this issue.
This will additionally reduce loadtimes even when compared to the uncompressed case because we no longer have to do much of any image decoding.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Thank you!

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

can we have a status update about the training server? when will it be online again?

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

It was restarted soon after I noticed that it was down. It'll be updated again soon anyway – point release in progress.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!