Overmind

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Pevel
Mapper

Overmind

Post by Pevel »

While the name and overall mechanics is still subject to change, I made this concept of vital alien structure. Overmind, Council, Leader, whatever you name it:

Do you like the idea of 5 little creatures grown together? Are the glowing parts fine? Got any other ideas? Please share. I'll add more sketches from different perspectives if the overall idea looks alright to you.

Last edited by Pevel on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Overmind

Post by Viech »

Yes, as mentioned on IRC, I like the council of five idea a lot. I guess the individual bodies of the five aliens could show a bit more on the OM's base, currently the blue flesh looks too seperate from the small heads.

The glowing brain/eye and the armor shells look good. The four arms seem too bulky, especially because they'd stick out of the bounding box by a good amount like this. Making them a bit thinner (and potentially more flexible in terms of animation) and have them point slightly upwards could work. Alternatively you could try having multiple tentacles at each edge.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Pevel
Mapper

Post by Pevel »

Thankies! Here are my two propositions for what could be next:

UPDATE

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

<Viech> I think the general shape is good like this
<Viech> you could add more surface details if you want to
<Viech> e.g. at the armor shells
<Viech> and the mandibles of the stand
<Viech> might be more interesting if they were partly of a different material
<Viech> horn would be consistent with other creatures. the mandibles on the the acid tube would work, too.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Pevel
Mapper

Post by Pevel »

New overman:
And a few comments to justify and explain some things:

• Sketch number 5 is the 'eye' when it's not glowing. The surface surrounding the center should be smooth (and shiny preferably) - in case it's not apparent.

• In the sketch number 6, the brain-like surface may be partially glowing if possible. Plates on the armor should be barely visible.

• Perspective is certainly off in some places. I hope it's not that much of an issue. The concept isn't sketched as ideally symmetrical but if the model would end up being symmetrical - it's perfectly ok.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »