HMG

Concept artwork for models and maps.
alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: Chaingun

Post by alexbo »

Here's an updat. I shortened it a bit based on what Viech just posted. The buttstock is shorter and the part in front of the trigger as well. I just saw the latest post so the shortening was done quickly. I mostly worked on what was discussed previously.

Attachments
chaingun.jpg
chaingun.jpg (165.33 KiB) Viewed 4897 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

OK, let me give some quick feedback on the changes you made that were discussed before the buttsock length discussion. The new trigger grip is nice. The barrel now looks more futuristic, I'd say it's fine now. The rear sight is nice but it's not on a line with the front sight (let the front sight extend a bit higer). You got my remark about the handle wrong: Have a look at my last sketch on how I'd like it to fold. I like all of your added detail except for the small part of the barrel (= upper tube) directly in front of the magazine (the one with the small diagonal vents): It looks too scuffed and flat. Maybe try something more shiny and roundish?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

You got it Viech. I'm on it today.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

How about that?

Attachments
chaingun.jpg
chaingun.jpg (230.6 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

And here comes the feedback:

• The bigger rear sight looks better.

• Handle position, size and attachment point are good now. If anything you could transform the area that the handle touches when it's folded up even more into a "bed" or "frame" for the handle.

• Putting the buttstock lower was a good idea, you should be able to aim the gun nicely now.

• The front sight is now in line with the rear sight but I find it too filigree/detailed, maybe simplify it a bit? Also I liked it about the old one that it did not extend over the small tubular conector it sits on. Maybe make the connector wider or the sight thinner.

• The area with the diagonal vents still looks scuffed and doesn't really match the clean roundish looks of the rest of the barrel.

• Could you shorten the buttstock even more, maybe by removing the area with the three stripes as I did in my mashup?

Be aware that currently all my feedback is just complaining on a very high level. :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: HMG

Post by alexbo »

Do you like that?

Attachments
chaingun.jpg
chaingun.jpg (225.82 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yes … yes I do! :smile:

Thank you for another concept art contribution! Can't wait to see it ingame and implement new gameplay mechanics for it.

If you'd like to do another gun in a similiar style you could have a look at the SMG, which will be our most important weapon. Another thing that's planned (but is lacking a thread) is a medium armor. If you are interesting in something different (apart from the female model) feel free to hook me up on IRC. With your work we filled most of our concept art gap by now (I don't consider the Tesla and Defense Computer to be important enough to assign them just yet) so we are free to plan ahaed in the future (as we already did, with the rocket pod). If you name something you are interested in (human/alien class/weapon/structure) I can focus my imaginative power™ on that area for you! (I can also throw more brackets at you (if you request so).)

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Can I have a go at that female design?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Go for it!