New advanced map editor for Quake engines: TrenchBroom

Ask questions about mapping in general, and show off your in-progress work.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: New advanced map editor for Quake engines: TrenchBroom

Post by kharnov »

I would say the sole inaccuracy in that graph is that we were really one project all along, and that TremZ split off from us instead of the other way around.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Ok, this point is particularly unclear. :D
At the very beginning we read on tremz.com the announcement about a future alpha which was never published on tremz.com but was finally published on unvanquished.net ... At the same time we read of people (developers, designers? ) saying "I left TremZ" when referring to Unvanquished. Also, (your gallery?) was previously referenced as its own by tremz.com.

It's difficult to understand all this, especially for those like me who do not read English natively! ;)

So if I understand correctly, there was two simultaneous projects?
Or the initial TremZ team became the current Unvanquished team, and when the name "Unvanquished" was given instead of the codename "TremZ", some people have decided to go their own way, using the codename as the official name to keep for them the growing reputation?

We could find on the net information about OpenWolf before Unvanquished and Daemon, is that mean OpenWolf IS Daemon, but those who have forked kept the old name? I know another projet where one developer has forked it but keeping the name, so the new name is in fact the original project. So if it happened the same thing about Unvanquished, I would not be surprised. :D

If the whole TremZ project is a fork of the whole Unvanquished project, is OpenWolf engine (the id tech 3 based OpenWolf, not the current) another name for Daemon engine, or are there was though an OpenWolf project which preceded?

I modified the schema :

Since TremZ seems to be a fork of Unvanquished, and now the engine has been changed to Torque3D and therefore not based on id Tech 3 nor related with Daemon, since (if the game released a day (ahem) :rolleyes: ) data will not have nothing to do with Unvanquished... I have deleted the reference to TremZ which is pointless, not even for historical reasons!

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

TremZ was created, changed its name to Unvanquished, and then there was a split.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Ok thanks, this is more understandable now. :)

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

@illwieckz, this is entirely the wrong thread to discuss the lineage of Unvanquished, but yes, that's pretty much right.

As for TrenchBroom vs. Sauerbraten, the two are nothing alike. That screenshot you posted was of Cube, not Sauerbraten, which uses quad trees, not oct trees (which means that, in Cube, you're basically limited to editing a heightmap that forms the floor and another that forms the ceiling.) Sauerbraten's oct trees are cool in that they allow you to quickly block out an area, but as soon as you try to do anything more than that, you start running into some serious problems. There's a lot of geometry you simply can't do, or geometry that you can't do without resorting to what are basically hacks. Sure, there's been quite a few really impressive maps done in Sauerbraten (far better and far more than I am aware of existing in the Quake 3 world), but if mappers would learn how to make geometry in dedicated modeling packages and not try to make everything out of brushwork, both Sauerbraten and (modern) Quake 3 derivatives would be a heck of a lot closer to "modern" standards.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

First time I saw "Sauerbraten" was on some game review website about open source games, it had the worst rating from the given list, while warsaw got the top. Apparently some comments also labelled tremulous as one of the worst as well...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

In fact, Sauerbraten was an inspiration for TrenchBroom in that I wanted to see what it would be like if you could edit Quake maps directly in the engine. Of course, it's also quite different because Sauerbraten uses a very different underlying engine, as someone explained above.

own3r

Post by own3r »

Is it possible to use Doom3/Quake4 Editors such as Darkradiant?
http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/

That has a realtime preview and has undergone continuous development for years now, it's quite impressive

Their forum is here:
http://forums.thedarkmod.com/forum/54-t ... ors-guild/

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

own3r wrote:

Is it possible to use Doom3/Quake4 Editors such as Darkradiant?
http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/

That has a realtime preview and has undergone continuous development for years now, it's quite impressive

Their forum is here:
http://forums.thedarkmod.com/forum/54-t ... ors-guild/

I don't think it's possible to use an editor that was made for id Tech 4 engine, for a game with a modified id Tech 3 engine.

own3r

Post by own3r »

KenuR wrote:

I don't think it's possible to use an editor that was made for id Tech 4 engine, for a game with a modified id Tech 3 engine.

Well on the chart above you can see its related to Xreal and that used Darkradiant as it's editor as a matter of fact. I guess it depends which parts it has inherited from what, but if you have specular maps, bump maps etc like tech4 why not use a compatible editor? Shrug