BUMP MAPPING

Ask questions about mapping in general, and show off your in-progress work.
icaro440
Marauder

BUMP MAPPING

Post by icaro440 »

Hey guys, here I come with another question, this time about the bump mapping. I'm trying, but I can not.

these are the steps I followed:

This is the original map "acera1.jpg:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225401/fotos/acera1.jpg

I have modified this map using the gimp program (normal mapping plug-in), and this is the file I got "acera1n.jpg"

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225401/fotos/acera1n.jpg

and this is the shader i used:

textures/test/pavimentos/acera1

{
qer_editorimage textures/test/pavimentos/acera1.jpg
bumpMap textures/test/pavimentos/acera1n.jpg
diffusemap textures/test/pavimentos/acera1.jpg
}

after build (final settings), this is the result:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225401/fotos/ ... 31_000.png

as you can see, obviously it did not work

anyone know what I did wrong?

Attachments
acera1.jpg
Ishq
Project Head

Re: BUMP MAPPING

Post by Ishq »

Make sure you compile with -deluxe -deluxemode 1 during the -lights phase.

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225401/fotos/ ... 01_000.png

[q3map2] -light -fast -shade -dirty -patchshadows -samples 3 -deluxe -deluxemode 1 -bouncegrid -bounce 6 "[MapFile]"

THANK YOU!

BigFluffyUnicorn
Dretch

Post by BigFluffyUnicorn »

This may and or may not help you. A friend gave this to me once and it helped. Goodluck

Credit goes to EmperorJack.

Attachments
Shaders-EmperorJack.jpg

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

Unicorn: Thank you very much, of course this is useful to me, this picture has cleared a doubt I had.

Other renderers such as that used in Archicad, do not use a separate file to create the necessary information for bump mapping, but use another layer in the same file, and this was what confused me, that was the main question that I had .

I've got to apply the bump mapping textures and now I'm experimenting with other shaders to achieve effects like flares.

Thank you :)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

You can group your textures into sets inside netradiant if you use pathes such as "textures/<mapname>_<setname>/<name>" for the shader name. You will then have a "> mapname" entry in the texture browser that expands to the distinct sets.

It's also wise to use "textures/<mapname><setname>s/<name>" for the shader name where the path to the actual texture files remains "textures/<mapname>_<setname>/" (without _s). That way your texture browser will only show the assembled shaders when you use the set with the suffix and isn't cluttered with useless diffuse, specular and normal maps (this also keeps you from accientially using a diffuse map instead of the shader).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

Hi Viech!, hey thanks for this tip, it helps a lot to have some order, is a bit tricky to handle 3-4 files for each texture. This makes things a little more logical.

Have I ever told you I love your map? ;) I can not wait to see it with the bump mapping applied. See you!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

icaro440 wrote:

Have I ever told you I love your map? ;) I can not wait to see it with the bump mapping applied. See you!

Thanks, I'd love to see this, too. I'm currently working on a texture replacement tool I'm planning to use for this. The GUI part is holding me back a bit though (hwoever told me Qt was nice and easy never used the QTableWidget).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

x10ded

Post by x10ded »

icaro440 no offence, but that is one of the worst normal maps i've seen. Create new one or use mine.
on left is your normal map, on right is mine

The attachment normalmap.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
normalmap.jpg
icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

no offense, I'm just a radiant apprentice, yours is really good it looks like a real prefabricated cement tile , good job,

if you had time you could post a mini-tutorial, pls? what application you used to get the normal map?

Thank you ;)