Sound production!

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Sound production!

Post by kharnov »

Hello! As you may all be aware, we're very much in need of replacing all the sounds in the game. Hopefully, this thread should give an idea of what needs to be done, and you can also declare what you'd like to work on and comment on the work of others. As sounds are approved and included into the game, this post will be updated to reflect that. Both me and Ishq can make the final decisions on what gets included. After submitting a batch of approved sounds, you'll be added to our credits.

The best way to get a feel for the game would be to play through a few matches of it, either against other players or the bots on one of our servers. As you listen to the sounds, try to pay attention to ones that you feel can be altered or improved in some way. Then, show us your replacements and we'll give you feedback and ultimately approval.

Ideally, the same person should do the set of sounds for a single group, such as one of the player models or a type of weapon. That way, the sounds will be consistent. With that being said, we have several broad categories of sounds to be done. These can be divided into organic, mechanical, and ambient sounds.

Organic sounds encompass all things made by living creatures. Thus, the alien team would be the primary recipient of this work, as they're entirely biological in contrast to the humans, although the human player model himself will also need organic sounds. In general, all living creatures will need several levels of pain sounds, as well as death, and in the case of alien structures, they'll need to make sounds as they come to life after being successfully constructed.

For the alien player models, which include the dretch, basilisk, marauder, dragoon, tyrant, and granger:

• All: pain, death, jump, taunt, primary attack.

• Basilisk: grab, gas.

• Marauder: electric shock.

• Dragoon: long-range barb and barb shattering.

• Tyrant: trample.

• Granger: spit.

Alien buildings, which include the acid tube, barricade, overmind, egg, booster, trapper, and hive:

• All: damage, construction, death.

• Acid tube: acid gas emission.

• Barricade: raising and lowering.

• Overmind: tentacle attack.

• Trapper: blob emission.

• Hive: buzzing aliens.

The human model is different from his alien counterparts. While he will need pain, jump, and death sounds, his attacks are all based off weapons he uses. Instead, he will need to be voiced for various things. He'll need a taunt, as well as various voice commands. The human must be voiced by the same person, so if you would like to volunteer for doing his voice, keep in mind that you'll have quite a bit of work ahead of you.

Mechanical sounds are another diverse group. These include all the human weapon sounds, as well as those of human base structures and the human battlesuit model. Human weapons make a variety of noises, from assorted firing sounds to an empty ammunition click and in some cases, reloading. The battlesuit stomps around and gives off machine-like noises as it jumps. Human base structures are all machines as well, although not all of them make sounds on a regular basis.

Equipment sounds to be done:

• Blaster: fire.

• Rifle: fire, reload, empty.

• Painsaw: idle hum, attack.

• Shotgun: fire, reload, empty.

• Lasgun: fire, empty.

• Mass driver: fire, reload, empty.

• Chaingun: fire, empty.

• Pulse rifle: fire, reload, empty.

• Flamer: fire, empty.

• Lucifer cannon: primary blast, secondary blast, empty, charge, overcharge.

• Grenade: ground impact, explosion.

• Jetpack: ascent, descent, stationary.

• Battlesuit: walking, running, jump.

Human base sounds:

• All: damage, explosion.

• Turret: tracking, firing.

• Telenode: idle hum, warp.

• Medistation: idle hum, heal.

• Reactor: power generation, shock attack.

• Tesla generator: idle electric hum, zap.

Ambient sounds are map-dependent. As such, it will mostly be our mappers requesting ambient sounds to be done. However, a few sounds are universal and will see usage on a wide variety of maps. For instance, distant mechanical hums, steam vents, atmospheric sounds such as harsh wind, or futuristic doors opening and closing.

Which format do sounds need to be in?

Files should be in the Ogg Vorbis format, with a sampling frequency of 44 Hz. Mono should be used in place of stereo, as directional audio is handled by the engine.

Which license do sounds need to be in?

Ideally, the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license, which is the Attribution and Share-Alike one. Basically, the license states that the author must be attributed for the work, and that if anyone uses the work or alters it, the same license must be used. In some cases the CC-BY-NC-SA license is used by those whose media creation programs have strict licenses. It is the same as the previous license, but with the added condition that the work may not be used for commercial purposes. While our project is entirely non-commercial and will permanently remain so, there are some free software advocates that state the non-commercial clause is non-free.

Where can I upload sounds?

For this, the best choice is probably either Dropbox or Soundcloud, as you can simply share the link in the thread and everyone can listen to your sound. An alternative could be Mediafire or some other file-sharing service, although that would be less optimal as you'd have to download the file to listen to it. If you want to show a specific example, you could overlay your sound(s) on top of video footage of the game and upload it to YouTube, but that's entirely optional and would take quite a bit of work.

seana11
Tyrant

Re: Sound production!

Post by seana11 »

I'd be interested in voice acting. Is there any place that has a list of needed vcalls like what xonotic has?

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

That seems like a good resource, although it may not have all lines...

RamblingTiger

Post by RamblingTiger »

I am one of the sound designer, I had some good ideas and progress for some of the weapons about a week ago, but my hard drive crashed and I lost everything. I got a new hard drive, re-installed my audio programs and ready to get back at it.

Question is: has anything been done, or should I start at the top of the list?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

From what I know, no one has settled on doing weapon sounds yet, so just pick your favorite gun and go ahead!

It would make sense for every sound designer to leave a note here about the area you would like to work in.

From what I remember jakegabb wanted to make environmental sounds and music. JackTMohn already started on some player-action sounds such as footsteps. Sovarozum expressed interest to coordinate the sound work and as long as we don't have a dedicated art director, this seems like a very good idea. There was also someone (I believe a friend of JackTMohn) who wanted to do organic sounds. Together with RamblingTiger that would be five sound designers, which is pretty cool.

For coordination, we can offer you this forum, a teamspeak and a mumble server and our development chanel on freennode, #unvanquished-dev. You might want to agree on one of those (or a thirdparty platform) for communication and work on the sounds as a group.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

RamblingTiger

Post by RamblingTiger »

Excellent, I will start work on some guns and have something posted by tonight.

Sovarozum

Post by Sovarozum »

Viech wrote:

It would make sense for every sound designer to leave a note here about the area you would like to work in.

Awesome! Alright, so far we have

RamblingTiger - Guns/Weapons Sounds
Jakegabb - Environmental Sounds/Music (I'm guessing ambiences here)
JackTMohn - Player Sounds (Footsteps, Jumping, Death?)
Sovarozum - Alien Sounds (I'll start on some of these ASAP)
Friend of JackTMohn - Organic Sounds

I'm down to use either 3 of the communication channels (TeamSpeak, Freenode, Mumble) to communicate with you all, or if you want to use something else I can do that too, just let me know guys. Thanks!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Teamspeak and Mumble are at 46.38.234.31, password »unvanquished«. IRC would have the added benefit of being able to talk to the rest of the development team.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

RamblingTiger

Post by RamblingTiger »

A quick blaster sample I did.

Due to pro tools 11 not supporting a lot of my plugins, this is not at its full potential. I am reinstalling PT10 to fix that problem.

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-hind-audio/ ... v1/s-vR0fa

Let me know what you think. Comments and suggestions are encouraged. This is my first attempt at making a laser sound.

Ps. Is this a good place to post sounds, or should I start a new thread?