Smoothness and Play-ability.

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
JackTMohn

Smoothness and Play-ability.

Post by JackTMohn »

I really enjoy the game. However, there are a few things that I feel like would make it more in-depth and or more entertaining. I realize the game is still in the works and so if these ideas are already being worked on or said than I apologize. Just my opinions I gathered while playing!

Characters-
The aliens move very fast and kill you very quickly. To make it more fair, slow down the aliens or make their attacks less powerful. Thus, giving the humans more of a chance and less of a chance of the aliens rushing without any resistance.
Slowing down the characters in general would give more 'weight' to them and so you don't feel like you're running on air.
Quests/objectives-
making different modes would be very fun. A 'zombie like' survival would be very entertaining.

I may come up with more but that is all for now. Again, these are just opinions and I do not mean to criticize in anyway. :)

-JTMs Studios

kangz
Programmer

Re: Smoothness and Play-ability.

Post by kangz »

Hey Jack, thanks for the feedback,

Did you play Tremulous? I'm going to assume you did not. no offense if you actually did play Tremulous

It is true that Unvanquished is fast-paced game, in the lineage of Quake3 and other "arcade shooters"; I'm not sure who you played against (the bots are quite good) but the aliens aren't obviously imbalanced. What happens when two players of the skill level fight is that the human is dodging the attacks of the alien by moving around/jumping/whatknot (called "dance"), thus making the fight fair. Unlike your typical CoD or Battlefield, movement takes time to master and is one of the core skills.

The problem is that most gameplay developers are very good Tremulous players if not experts; making the design a biased. I'll let one of them answer in more details but I think that it is very interesting to have this kind of feedback. (even if I personally like the game to be fast-paced).

As for making mods, I think we'd better concentrate on the main gameplay before doing them, however, the engine itself supports mods and even total conversions so anyone with some coding skills can make one of these survival modes (we added bots and map logic with that goal in mind).

JackTMohn

Post by JackTMohn »

Okay, I see. I suppose it may just be that I usually do not play this type of game. Haha, the bots do seem to know all the tricks though, it takes me a good 2 full clips to kill a normal enemy because they are moving around so much. I like the fast paced gameplay I just wasn't sure if it was something to get used to or just an imbalance. Thanks for letting me know though! Looks like it is back to playing for a while.

-JTMs Studios

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Hello Jack and welcome :smile: ,

I think exactly like Kangz, fast-paced competitive games like Quake 3 (and mods for it like CPMA), and I hope like Unv, can be really disconcerting when played for the first time. First because their gameplay is very different — way richer — from those of casual FPS like COD (> 4). Secondly because the present pool of players plays it since such a long time and with such passion that they have mastered it to a near unbelievable extent. But I'm sure that as and when you'll play it, you will appreciate the difficulty and richness of this so particular game :wink: .

Also indeed a human without helmet and armor, alone in a wide room, will be vulnerable, but as soon as humans have helmets, they take over the aliens. Also when humans do not play solo but progress in squad, they became very very strong. — Besides you will see it well during the Summer Tournament by observing teams that communicates with a microphone especially.

JackTMohn

Post by JackTMohn »

Yes, indeed I have been playing modern First Person Shooters a lot and that may be why I find it so hard to play at first. I never had a gaming computer till recently so it's giving me a whole new spectrum of gaming to explore! Can't wait to see the tournament!

-JTMs Studios

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

In fact, it would be awesome if you could PM me or somethign when you play so I can give you an intro to the game and some of the sounds that need work.

JackTMohn

Post by JackTMohn »

Sounds good man, I'll probably be on later tonight around 8:00pm. I'll send you a message around then!

-JTMs Studios

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Cool. Sounds good.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

kangz wrote:

(the bots are quite good)

Tip: Run in circles. Bots will have a 0% chance of hitting you if you do it right.

JackTMohn wrote:

modern First Person Shooters a lot

One of the main differences between modern and fast-paced shooters is the fact you often don't need to move your mouse vertically much. If the aliens are good at something like marauders, well you're gonna need to practice your mouse pitch skills.
Should be feeling lucky the marauder height was nerfed. Before you can jump over a tyrant without the aid of walls, and inevitably, overjump humans to the extent at max height you can't reach em (i think) and often hit your head on the ceiling of nexus 6. Good times.

Take a look at some of my ancient videos from alpha 5 or 6.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

gillux

Post by gillux »

Ishq wrote:

In fact, it would be awesome if you could PM me or somethign when you play so I can give you an intro to the game and some of the sounds that need work.

Ishq, could your little training session be used as a base for a tutorial mode? If you have anything interesting, why not copy and paste some bits to the wiki?