Is there significant interest in a launcher and/or auto-installer?

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
NexusForever

Is there significant interest in a launcher and/or auto-installer?

Post by NexusForever »

I, NexusForever, have been looking at this project and I think it is great.

However, I think that for Linux users it is a little over-complicated to install and therefore I pose this question: Would it be worthwhile for me to write an auto-installer or a launcher that contains an installer feature, a pre-runtime configuration GUI , and/or an auto-updater. If so, or if you have any suggestions, please let me know. Also, if it would be worthwhile, should I also look at targeting it towards the Microsoft Windows platform as well? (Ick, I hate programming for Windows...)

--NexusForever

danmal

Re: Is there significant interest in a launcher and/or auto-installer?

Post by danmal »

That sounds pretty handy. We currently use BitRock (I maintain the project files here) to install Unvanquished for Windows and OS X. The main issue is that we haven't been able to create a binary that works across most Linux distributions.

If you haven't already then jump on #unvanquished-dev (irc.freenode.net) as much of our development discussion occurs there.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

We also have RamchandraApte working on a python installer currently (not sure whether for windows or linux or both). So yes, best way would be to join #unvanquished-dev and talk to RamchandraApte or `Ishq.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

It would be nice to have as many options to choose from, as possible. Even if there is someone attempting to make a Python installer, I'd very much like to see your implementation. The more options we have, the better.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

NexusForever wrote:

I, NexusForever, have been looking at this project and I think it is great.

However, I think that for Linux users it is a little over-complicated to install and therefore I pose this question: Would it be worthwhile for me to write an auto-installer or a launcher that contains an installer feature, a pre-runtime configuration GUI , and/or an auto-updater. If so, or if you have any suggestions, please let me know. Also, if it would be worthwhile, should I also look at targeting it towards the Microsoft Windows platform as well? (Ick, I hate programming for Windows...)

--NexusForever

We could create a bash script to automate the installation/update process. That would make it nice for cron jobs and monthly updates.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

kharnov wrote:

It would be nice to have as many options to choose from, as possible.

Finally I'm not the only one saying this. Our current method of distributing the game for Mac users with an installer is as un-Mac friendly as possible.