Unvanquished timeline

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
seana11
Tyrant

Re: Unvanquished timeline

Postby seana11 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

CommanderWill wrote:I didn't catch the Dune spin on my first read-through, that's pretty great. Dune and Ender's Game are two of my favorite sci-fi books/series.

That'd be pretty cool implementation.

One other question I had, maybe I missed it on the first few reads but I'm not sure, What is the alien's means of interplanetary travel? Do they have spacecraft or something? It's not too important for gameplay, but it could be an influence in some map designs.

I'm pretty sure that you can already do that by modifying the worldspawn entity.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Postby kharnov » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Reviving the topic because I can.

Does anyone have any objections to any major part of my timeline? Or, any suggestions? I want to get back to making a final draft soon. After I finish the timeline, I can write material for individual things like alien forms and human equipment.
seana11
Tyrant

Postby seana11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Sounds good, though if some planets have been terraformed, we might want to make a couple outdoor maps, instead of just space stations.

freem
Dretch

Postby freem » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:49 am UTC

illwieckz wrote:This is a great idea, I've never read or heard this in any SF story ! Do you know an author who has expressed this rule in a book or a movie? Or you got this idea by writing Unvanquished history ? I's brillant !

Well, it is a little like foundation series. There are few sentient robots (reminescent from the past), but they hide themselves. Nowhere I can remember it is said that they are forbidden, but I did not read those books only 2 years ago :) it's something more like 7-8 so I can not remember why there are no more than 2 robots I can remember.

In this universe, earth colonized 50 first colonies, which themselves colonized others. Earth and 50 first colonies are forgotten from a long date (thousands of years IIRC), and the colonies which have conquered the whole galaxy made an empire, which in the first book is having few problems. I'll stop here, in case someone will want to read them.

== Aliens ==

Apart from that, if you need some background references for aliens, you might take a look at warhammer 40000's universe, on the race named tyranids, which seems to be close enough to unvanquished's aliens (I do not speak about cloning the 40000's universe, of course).

The way they do planetary travel is that they invested some sort of space creature, and adapted by mutations to transportations.

== Humankind ==

janev wrote:[INDENT]EX) Billions met gruesome deaths in the first engagements. Treaties that had banned clone warfare had to be abandoned in the face of the new foe. Volunteers for the cloning process were abundant after the first worlds fell, but only one in a million met the physical, mental and experience requirements for cloning. (Explains the lack of different models) [/INDENT]

Alternatively cloning is the only cost effective way of manning far away regions of space. Transport costs for individuals would be too high and so they have to grow their own on site. A few highly specialized templates (clones) can be produced/ modified to meet the particular challenges of that local. Soldier, Scientist, Communications etc etc etc.

I guess in such a situation, the way humankind would adopt is making an ADN database. It's easier to transport after all.

janev wrote:[INDENT]
Late in the conflict, when going on the counteroffensive, flamethrowers and the tools for rooting out the alien menace are the norm however you would have to push through stiffer resistance. Aliens could automatically spawn as more evolved forms and humans have big budgets.
[/INDENT]

I know it's an example, but flamethrowers basically sounds like a modified tool. Like in... well, alien the book ;)
For other weapons, it obviously needs to be studied.

== Background ==

Anyway, that's a pretty interesting background. It is open enough to allow further changes into gameplay. By example, I have read on another subject that aliens took tyrants from a big but peaceful creature. So, what happened to humans on fallen worlds?
If Earth's population have at least reach a stable enough state, and seeing the "rebellion" of their ancient colonies, maybe they'll reuse some robots to fix this problem. Maybe some evil emperor already did that to take the command of system Sol?

So, yes, I like this background :)
freem
Dretch

Postby freem » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

accidental double posting. Tried to remove it but did not find how to.

Return to “Community Development”