Particle Effects

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
Spiney
Dretch

Particle Effects

Post by Spiney »

It's simply a snapshot of how far I got so far, so expect things to break, look ugly and be inefficient.
I also noticed some colors of the weapon effects have changed between Unv/Trem, since this is mostly a port atm it'll have the Trem colors, but I don't think of it as a big deal myself. I could change the lucifer cannon effects back to blue and such.

http://files.acidtu.be/unv/particles_0.pk3dir.zip

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Particle Effects

Post by kharnov »

Yes! Hop onto our channel, we can discuss this further and talk about getting it into the next release once you feel it's in a ready state.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Also, here's my feedback so far.

The lucifer cannon fireball looks very nice! My only suggestion (you don't have to follow this) is to make the colors similar. Either make your additions blue, or make the old fireball orange-ish. Maybe you can play with complementary colors. Don't worry too much about particle clipping, as this should be resolved after we add soft particles.

Your pulse rifle shots look nice and I like the red dynamic light. Again, my only suggestion would be with regards to color consistency. Either red or yellow will look good in this case. Or, if you want to make it consistent with the lucifer cannon as both fire plasma, try light blue.

That flamethrower effect is perfect! Seriously nice job!

Smoke particles on the physical weapon shots look very good!

Our mass driver is going to turn into a sniper rifle in the future, so if you make an effect more appropriate for a high-power physical weapon that would be better, but the replacement for the current energy shot looks good.

Nothing was included yet for the las gun, but I'll just remind you that it's going to be turned into a beam rifle soon. If you want us to provide you with the WIP model so that you can test out a beam effect, we can give it to you.

Good work on the grenade explosions. Feel free to make them even flashier, if you want. They are single-use weapons and can afford to be big explosions.

Alien creep looks amazing, it just needs a normal/specular map.

What did I miss? Also, I can't wait to see what you'll do with the dragoon barb. It needs a better explosion than the old one!

Oh, and how did you make all of these? They look great!

Spiney
Dretch

Post by Spiney »

Haha, I'll come hang in the IRC 24/7 when I get my bouncer working.
Anyway, I noticed that unlike Trem the projectile sprite references are not residing in the model scripts?
Also, is there any documentation on how to decompress crunch files? Originals would also be nice for easy/lossless tweaking if possible.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

I have a special request: can you work on the blood effects for both teams?

Spiney
Dretch

Post by Spiney »

Improved blood is something I've been wanting for myself.
I tried some things in the past but never really satisfactory, it seems like an art of it's own, though I have some ideas :D

Anyway, I'm a bit busy with some pesky meatspace errands that will probably take up my time for at least another week or two.
I hope I can finish most of the effects before the next release, but I'm not going to give any promises at the moment.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

If you're limited on time, then I'd suggest focusing on 2-3 particle effects and getting them as good as you can for the release.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Got anything for the release next week, Pikachu?

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Pikachu, regarding the ejector limit: yes, we can raise it above 4 easily. We will do this after the release today. Do you have any other particle limit requests?

Spiney
Dretch

Post by Spiney »

I've updated the link in the first post.

Limits: thanks, don't need anything else at the moment.