moonbase map concept

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
bsp1t
Dretch

Re: moonbase map concept

Post by bsp1t »

Lots of work on shader, models etc. Thanks for the help everyone. The shaders will be pretty...

Some layout tests. Be gentle. There are no textures/fancy shaders/uvmaps. There are seams errors etc - its just a speedmap. The cave part will be better lit next post when the lab section gets pasted in..

http://imgur.com/a/oyVB1

bsp1t
Dretch

Post by bsp1t »

(was testing model shading etc and realized 'woah')

Ha! I've haunted all your dreams!

troll bonus keyword : " reddit " . Maybe we will get some P.R. ....

bsp1t
Dretch

Post by bsp1t »

All joking aside, in honor of this current release - MOONBASE

This is just an fps test, theme test. If you see a texture misalignment - trust me i already see it. If you see a light problem, I already know. If you dont like the texture, I already see it.

Let me reiterate : this is a fps test and layout test.

Some sshots :

And here is the test map :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ptf ... iwl5dTkAOw

Broken hint brush in aqua section - be patient - corrected upload soon......

Meh, its an experiment.

UPDATE:

This is the updated bsp/map :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2t1 ... X5V0oF4IFA

bsp1t
Dretch

Post by bsp1t »

Lots of fixes -

1) caulked and moved things to help the vis/pvs / hint brush experiments - there is room for hint improvements. (I can see the rtris errors in certain spots - hint brushes dont always work the way we want them to. But its tweakable..)

2) fixed the 'hidden' invis brush under some lights.

3) all doors are correctly grouped and clipped.

4) some texture corrections...

5) model corrections

6) added middle section for gameplay

7) lots of little things....

This should be a playable layout test. I've had some decent fps improvements so, please give it some gameplay.

File here : 65MB'ish

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/1wj ... RecTe51U-Q

bsp1t
Dretch

Post by bsp1t »

Thanks to ds

http://www.unvanquished.net/~dsalt/map- ... a6+crn.pk3

filesize knocked down to 32 from 63MB

try that for todays gameplay. Nice work ds!

Thank you to everyone who playtests and try's it out. I was just hoping to get something new and fresh out for a new game. This ain't q2 ppl!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Some unsorted feedback based on example screenshots. I'm talking mostly about the visual quality of the stuff that is already there, not about details that are missing or the overly simplistic room layout of some areas (since you call the map a layout).

• The tread floor texture is of very low resolution, the normalmap isn't seamless, the pattern is out of proportion (the bumps are huge). Get rid of that texture everywhere, use one of the higher quality tread floor textures that are available (e.g. eX set).

• The height/thickness of the floor plates is too big. Their top is also axis aligned, which is a bit boring. Make them thin like actual metal plates and adjust their tilt to match the surface. Give their side a fitting trim texture and also add a trim border to the top surface, as a tread floor ending on a clean 90° edge looks very unrealistic.

• The rock resolution, especially on the normal map, is way too low, leading to unrealistic shading. It also appears to be distorted, leading to optical illusions (unable to see exactly where the wall begins) when moving through it.

• The monochrome texturing on the spotlights is very boring. There doesn't seem to be an actual lamp with a glow map inside its head. The cable attached to them is as big as their stands and looks like it was a fixed part of the lamp made out of metal.

• Don't use light entities, ever, anywhere. The visual quality of this scene could be improved by a factor of thousand only by having each of the spotlights emit directed light. Only use light emitting shaders and make sure they have a glowmap, too.

• The girders are way too thick. Use thin girders everywhere, they look infinitely better and more realistic.

• Don't use monochrome textures, not even for trims. Ideally trims should have some notion of height difference (→ normal map) so it looks like the tread floor ends under them, not at their edge. Just like real life trims below doors: They are on top of the carpet, not next to it.

• Use fitting wall textures or fit them in place. Wall textures that end abruptly always look bad but especially when the illusion of normal mapping is broken at the edge.

• Make sure textures on round corners aren't distorted like the one on the left.

• Whenever wall and floor or wall and ceiling meet each other, make sure to use trims on atleast one surface, especially when you have such an unsettled ceiling. The ceiling texture on this specific shot doesn't look like it should be used on a (flat) ceiling at all.

• Don't use floor textures on stair steps. Use step textures when available, fitting trim textures otherwise.

• The normal map of the wall texture is entirely off.

• The lamp needs a glow map and again, should be the actual light source of the scene.

• The texture proportions are entirely wrong: Both tread floor and ceiling make this look like it's air-duct sized while the walls imply that a human can stand in their.

• The plants are flying.

• The water doesn't remotely look like water.

• The grass floor doesn't look good given the low resolution and the fact that you can't have good looking grass on a flat surface. Use soil instead.

• The rocks (especially the one behind the camera but also those visible on the screenshot) have shading artifacts and are flatly shaded. Either hack the rock shader to make them use phong shading (I remember there were tutorials on this) or use properly imported post-md3-era map models, in case there is a way to do so. The rock texture is among the few textures on your map that has a sufficent resolution. The specular mapping on the rocks needs to be reduced though.

• The plants are probably the best you can get from the legacy map model pipeline but they still don't look up to date due to the unsmooth alpha blending and flat shading.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

bsp1t
Dretch

Post by bsp1t »

WHAT?! the water sucks!? best water in any unv map seen yet...

Plants?! Best plants ive seen in a unv map yet!

Ok the rest is good critisism, Working on those problems. Ill fix those next release. But you are a respected mapper so ill apply your advice best I can. THANK YOU to the only person who took time to say something, that helps keep me going. Viech, I will do my best! (yes, the shader was wrong on some wall textures - fixed)

(the 'girders' are called 'railings', and if i shrink them then ppl will complain about AA problems and jaggies. They exist. Also it would be a major map redo. I would have to toss the map. I like them, thanks for noting it but on a scale of 1-10 its a 0.1)

The columns of moonrock in the 3 stair areas can be fixed, easiest would be to either shrink them or clip the whole thing off from railing to bottom.

A slow side project derived from this body of work is an asset pak. Feel free to rip from the pk3 as you need. I also include the .map and assests. Feel free to rip/modify/fix as needed for your needs. If you want the .blends there is a zip available for that too. However, just select the model and import it and tweak it and the shader as needed. Just send me updates so i can include it. This includes nobiex's oil drums/barrel/textures/ammo crate. You may want to add modelscale 0.5 to some. All have spec/norm/diffuse and a basic shader.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

bsp1t wrote:

Best plants ive seen in a unv map yet!

Guess why no official map uses plants (or any map models, at all). The reason is that even the best ones we can easily pull would look pre 2000 (that includes nearly every free map model on the internet as well). I'm aiming towards creating a set of map models eventually but every one of them will need nearly as much work as every other model we put ingame so far. Except for very simple things such as barrels I will request a concept sketch which is then given to a full time modeler. This means that a handful of map models will easily need as much work as an entire map but hopefully the results are eye catchers that every map can profit from.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Viech wrote:
bsp1t wrote:

Best plants ive seen in a unv map yet!

Guess why no official map uses plants (or any map models, at all). The reason is that even the best ones we can easily pull would look pre 2000 (that includes nearly every free map model on the internet as well). I'm aiming towards creating a set of map models eventually but every one of them will need nearly as much work as every other model we put ingame so far. Except for very simple things such as barrels I will request a concept sketch which is then given to a full time modeler. This means that a handful of map models will easily need as much work as an entire map but hopefully the results are eye catchers that every map can profit from.

Modern day plants kill framerate faster than you can look away from them.
Also, keep up the work, looking forward to it's release.

-InDeX

Post by -InDeX »

Hmm looking pretty interesting, inb4 gravity modification for map (Is that even possible?)