some hud elements

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
vcxzet
Dretch

some hud elements

Post by vcxzet »

Last edited by vcxzet on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Viech
Project Head

Re: some hud elements

Post by Viech »

Did you do all of these?

One thing I'd really like to introduce are counterstrike like kill messages with icons instead of text. I started a naive implementation just using the weapon and class icons (try it with »\cg_emoticonsInMessages 1«) but Anomalous prefered the greater detail of text messages as a default. If we had a combination of schematic icons for every possible way to die, we could get rid of those and have kill messages that are both easy to understand at a glance and good looking.

So if you are interested in doing 2D work for us, that would be an opportunity.

Here is a listing of all kill messages.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »

Last edited by vcxzet on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yeah, something like that! I didn't expect you would start so quickly, otherwise I would've given you more details… :tongue:

We don't yet have an unique style for icons: Those that appear in text messages (and in this forum) are little pictures which are mostly leftovers from trem. We also have mostly up-to-date icons that appear in the scores screen and the HUD. I'd take the latter as a reference for any new icon and also use them in the kill messages.

We can scale down at any point, better to have them available in higher resolution. Vector graphics would be ideal but high resolution rasterized icons will work, too.

If you do want to supply us with icons and the style of the current weapon/equipment/alien icons suits you, I can work out the relevant combinations and give you a list of what we need. (I will also find out whether the author of the current icons is still on the team and is fine with someone else doing more of them.)

PS: I wouldn't give the icons a floor plate if it isn't necessary (since the weapon icons don't have one either).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »

Last edited by vcxzet on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Assembled them for you:

As you can see, there is some amount of inconsistency among the non-pictogram icons, too. Some did not change since Tremulous, some have been done from scratch. The grenade icons were recently made by Anomalous to distinguish between the new firebomb and the fragmentation grenade. Most icons are 100² but the lucifer cannon is 50² for unknow reason (also the + icon is 60²). In the course of development, some of them will have to be redone to fit the new models (for example granger, lisk, mara, goon, chaingun).

For the size of your icons, feel free to choose a power of two grid (I'd prefer 128² since they might show up as a part of the HUD but 64² should be sufficient if it's easier for you). Exporting at different powers of two should not create many artifacts in theory. 100² is an arbitrary size from a programmer's point of view.

License wise, we need the icons to be released under CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC-BY 3.0 or CC0 1.0.

I will work out a consistent scheme for all death messages later today and give you a list of what we need for that.

vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »

Last edited by vcxzet on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

What's the confused Alien icon used for?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Sorry, I'm currently very busy with real life, give me a few more days to work out the kill messages thing.

To give you a basic idea, there are a number of formats a kill message can have:

World & Buildable kills
<source> <victim>
source – e.g. fall damage, wrong place, suicide, turret, acid tube

Alien kills
<attacker> <class> <weapon> [qualifier] <victim>
class – The alien class icon
weapon – An image of claws or teeth or the image of the "perk" that is associated with a special attack, such as poison, electricity, spikes, fragmentation. Read Section 6.2 onwards of our gameplay roadmap to get an idea of what I mean with that.
qualifier – e.g. head hit, splash damage

Human kills
<attacker> <weapon> [qualifier] <victim>
weapon – can be an actual weapon icon or an environmental effect such as fire that has been placed by the attacker
qualifier – e.g. head hit (for teamkills), splash damge

Regarding the license, I guess most of our core assets use CC-BY-SA 3.0. When you pack the individual icons at some point, just say that you release them under that license and we can put them in the game.

vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »

Last edited by vcxzet on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:18 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.