some hud elements

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
ViruS
Granger

Re: some hud elements

Post by ViruS »

I'd like to have a cvar so we can toggle between icons and death messages. I disliked xon's change to icon death messages-only (new default) because for example, killed by world icon for my resolution looked like a ghost-hand of some sort, but the kill messages were fancy. I wonder why we're still relying on repeatitive-boring messages rather than having a wide variety like what slok's (I think?) BB and KoRx and some other servers had.

Viech wrote:

Alien kills
<attacker> <class> <weapon> [qualifier] <victim>

I don't think we need <class> because <weapon> defines it, unless you're going to use the same barb icon for granger and tyrant barb, are you?

Also, I can't quite figure out some of those icons, they're not that obvious. It also turns out that smooth icons are hard to read on my resolution for some reason, for example from the original trem set, I could easily tell what the stamina and the lcannon symbols was, but I had trouble with the rifle bullet symbol (looked like a shotgun's) and the "alien" (Looked like a circle with two tiny holes, Why does it even exist?) symbols that was on Meis' HUD.

Either that or I have brain-comprehensive disorder.

I also never really liked weapon kill symbols in replacement of kill messages because,
a) Unfasionable, looks ugly (well not as much as our current MoDs)
b) They look almost identicle to each other unless you actually try to look at its details, or if the weapons have distinctive differences. I remembered today I had trouble thinking if the distant enemy human had a lcannon or prifle since they are the same colour, and I was looking from the side. It's like comparing the icons :dragoon: with :advdragoon: in a way. Without taking a close look at the legs, which of the two is the advance one? (No need to answer, the right one is the advance dragoon)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

This is not a discussion thread ViruS and I have my reasons to distinguish between class and weapon. "Allow people to toggle between different types of kill messages because the icons of some other game looked bad on my screen.", if I may sum it up like that, is simply not an argument at all. Please give feedback when we have something ready, criticising an idea before you tested it needs better arguments, otherwise it's just misleading to the people who want to contribute to it.

vcxzet, I like the suicide and telefrag icons. Electricity is simple as it should be. Posion doesn't really fit. The turret and tesla are nice. Death by egg or telenode is new to me. Crush damage is good, we can use an additional item for weight damage (maybe some tonnage sign instead of the crushing bit). A snorkel for drowning is a good idea. Falling and lava/slime are too simple, it can be unclear what they mean to new players. The big skull is nice, not sure what to use the small skull for. Wrong place is good. I have no idea what a targeting laser is.

With regard to your weapon icons, they are simple but some of them are too simple to describe or brand the gun well (e.g. pulse, mdriver, las gun). Either way I'd focus on icons that we don't have a version of first and then we can see which existing icons need work when we assemble all of them into the kill messages.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »

Last edited by vcxzet on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:18 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

I like the toast.

vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »

Last edited by vcxzet on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »

Last edited by vcxzet on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Thank you very much so far. I'm currently very busy with real life but I will get back to you when I figured out a list of missing stuff.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »