If you have trouble registering or do not receive a verification e-mail, please ask for help in chat.

bot improvements mod

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
SuperDupont

Re: bot improvements mod

Postby SuperDupont » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:57 pm UTC

If you see Human bots on Yocto don't go to the medi-station, it's because this map is vertical, and bots can think there is still enemies nearly, but they are far away, high.

Thanks for all improvements
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:57 pm UTC

Actually, no, this should not cause that. This reminds me I need to fix that problem... (completely forgot our talk on that topic)
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:28 am UTC

:announce: Long time I have not introduced any change, but this ends now: since early this morning, human bots are able to use ladders!

Originally, I was trying to get bots to wallwalk "by accident". I thought this would be easy, even easier than ladders... I was wrong. I still hope to get that feature out of the way before next release of my mod.
Also, they are not «magically» able to use ladders: for that, someone must manually add the navmesh connections. This is not hard to do, but this is still time to spend on each map. I have no idea how to generate those info automatically, but I think this is still a huge improvement, since this means that, for example in yocto, human bots will no longer be stuck in the trap near human base. This also means that in the new parpax, they will not be trapped in the tank room, and be able to use the big ladder, in at least one direction.

[edit]

I continued on that work a bit, and thus, bots will soon be able to:

• crouch
  • use ladders
  • do simple wallwalking

Crouching will require rebuilding the navmeshes included in the map, the 2 other features will require manually adding connections. I do not know if it is possible to have those changes server-side only though. Illwieckz, your opinion on that?

I am tempted to give a try to provide jetpacks to bots when they use short-range weapons (flamer, painsaw) but this would probably be quite buggy, I can already imagine them with their fuel exhausted trying to fly to their target... a bit like what they do nowadays, in fact.
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:30 am UTC

new release, number 11.

A previous release introduced regressions in the rush and heal score, the most obvious signs was that bots no longer go base for healing . This has been fixed.
I am planning a new release soon, but it will probably not bring interesting player changes. Instead, it will bring changes which will make it easier to add navigation connections, so that the changes bring by release 10 will be more useful. There is also a known bug in release 10 which I hope to be able to fix (bots "pause" for ~1s when they meet an obstacle) in next release.

Usually I would have waited to have more content for a release, but considering current development pace, I think it's better to make those fix available now, especially since bots not being able to flee to heal breaks things a bit too much imo (one of the major idea behind this mod is to make bots stop feeding, after all).

So, here we are for a 12th release finally.

I intend to publish new releases with smaller changelogs starting of now, since I think the 1st step in a pretty good shape, feature-wise. I do not expect to implement many more stuff, and instead will try to find the time to clean the code for inclusion in vanilla. Last expected change will be, as said before, to make it easier to create navmesh connections, and this will not directly impact the AIs nor playing experience.
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:15 am UTC

New release: 13.

This only makes it easier to create connections between navmeshes, more info on navmesh upgrades thread about how to use that.
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:27 pm UTC

New release 14, which most importantly fix a regression linked to a change I omit to list (woopsie):

• human bots don't sell good armor to buy a lesser one because of momentum regression

Note that I think I will implement this mechanism better later, so that it applies to anything they have: all upgrades, weapon, etc.
There are also some hopefully improvements on climbing but I suspect a regression on obstacle avoidance.
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 pm UTC

Release 15:

• fix the old stamina problem. Bots now properly manage their stamina, not running if they have less stamina than what would be required for 1.1 jump, until they have enough for 2 jumps. The values are arbitrary, I might change them in future, but I think they good.
  • fix bots now buying weapons, radar or class when alone. This might fix some other problems, we'll see.
  • fixed a bunch or AI bugs older than betterai
  • aliens now want to reach creep of OM/egg when going to heal, instead of trying to kiss them. Also fix bots not touching booster except by accident when healing. This (about booster) is likely to receive changes in unknown future, when bots will have proper code to handle resupply, which means that at this point, they will likely use the booster correctly, including healing through walls.
  • no more queuing at medistat
  • increased range for defense from 100 to 300

[edit]
Got a minor bug in the creep distance. Fixed.
I also implemented a basic delay between flee jumps for aliens, so that it depends on skill.

Considering the fact the creep bug makes it hard for aliens to heal, I'm uploading the release 16 right now.
killing time
Programmer

Postby killing time » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:15 pm UTC

I played a bit on the SK5 server. Problems that jumped out at me:
  • Bots often retreat when it's not a good idea. Like a dretch is coming at me, I hit it 3-4 times with a rifle, and then it turns around and runs back right before it could have got me. In general, when you're going 1-on-1 against a bot it's like you only have to take it down to half its health and then the rest comes for free, since it just runs away without fighting (and not fast enough to actually escape). The retreating is sometimes effective when I'm fighting several enemies at once and the others prevent me from finishing off the injured one.

Perhaps a quick hack to improve things slightly - disable retreating for dretches, since they have little to lose.

This behavior is also on master, not a bug specific to the mod. Actually it seemed slightly improved in the mod, in one respect: retreating human bots tried to shoot at me a bit when I attacked them during their retreats. On master retreating human bots are completely oblivious and don't fight. Is this something changed in the mod?
  • Bots ignore enemies standing in certain places. For example as an alien, I can stand on a big box near the human base's interior entrance and none will shoot me. Of course this bug is already well-known and has been there forever.
  • Infinite equipment-changing loop. A human bot was stuck at the armory constantly going click-click-click... Possibly a mod-specific bug.
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 pm UTC

I'll try to answer as best as I can, but, the most important thing is, thanks for testing and saying your opinion!

> Bots often retreat when it's not a good idea.

well, it depends on their skills, and SK5 is for average players. You're stronger than I. The retreat condition is, of course, previsible, more or less. Otherwise, ti's a bug, as it should depend on the skill distribution.

> (and not fast enough to actually escape). The retreating is sometimes effective when I'm fighting several enemies at once and the others prevent me from finishing off the injured one.

So, I need to improve the fast flee code. That was planned, but that's a valuable input still. This fast flee code is actually a hack, not a code.

> Perhaps a quick hack to improve things slightly - disable retreating for dretches, since they have little to lose.

That's an interesting idea. I tried to produce a generic code, but maybe I'm wrong on that. It's worth some talks I think.

>Actually it seemed slightly improved in the mod, in one respect: retreating human bots tried to shoot at me a bit when I attacked them during their retreats. On master retreating human bots are completely oblivious and don't fight. Is this something changed in the mod?

That's an unforeseen improvement, which is caused by the changes in the mod, aka: non-linear healScore.

> Bots ignore enemies standing in certain places. For example as an alien, I can stand on a big box near the human base's interior entrance and none will shoot me. Of course this bug is already well-known and has been there forever.

I wish I'd be able to fix it now, but it will be for next iteration.

> Infinite equipment-changing loop. A human bot was stuck at the armory constantly going click-click-click... Possibly a mod-specific bug

That's one of the severe bug I'm trying to fix right now. I won't let it pass for a PR. Any help appreciated thought (as always ;))

Return to “Community Development”