Lets discuss Tyrant

Get support for Unvanquished.
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Lets discuss Tyrant

Post by illwieckz »

It is powerful. By the way his power is made almost unusable given player have to aim very precisely, and it's very easy to miss the shot. Sometime I think about a Tyrant with a kind of damage “spread“: if you were a real tyrant with an human in front of you, you would not have to aim precisely to hit it badly, just slash… Viech also said we can completely re-imagine its kind of attack, see this thread.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

Its oblivious that's cause the tyrant is perfect as he is. Stop shaming him ! :bsuit: :granger:

Whats the easiest change to make tyrants more interesting?

fear ma engrish :granger:

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

Making tyrants more agile is maybe the opposite direction, but giving them more health to make them tankier sounds good.

fear ma engrish :granger:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

freem wrote:As for agility, giving them the ability to "climb" over walls of turrets or drills does not seems that a bad idea to me
I would look more for turrets and drills to not survive that long to a tyrant, like: you're blocked? click hit with an average aim with rage, instant kill of the buildable and explosion! It's a Tyrant after all. A luci can kill alien defenses in one hit.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

freem wrote:Sure, stuff can be tweaked everywhere in C++ code to become more and more complex, more specific cases (oh, it's a 'rant, let's destroy stuff in 0.2s instead of 5s) but I don't think it's a good answer, especially if having the code easier to get in would be a (long term) goal.
What if it's like quake3 and other similar game when N damage kills, but N+n damage destroys (gibs)?

Like, you're a goon, you know only 3 barb can kill a turret, you know a 4th hit would destroy it but anyway you don't have barb anymore and the buildable would have exploded before you get that barb, and getting uncovered to destroy it with close range attack would just be too risky for nothing.

But as a tyrant, you do one hit, you kill the turret, another hit, you destroy it and pass.

That would not be class specific, that would apply from any alien to any human buildable : dretch would have to care about non-beating a dead turret, or even maybe from any player to any buildable. Either you give significantly more damage than needed to kill it and the buildable explodes, either it's dead since some time and it explodes like now.

In a situation where a tyrant could destroy a turret in one hit, requiring more than 50% of the buildable health to be given as extra damage to insta-explode it would implement the mechanism to favor tyrants without class-specific code, their existing damage rate would do the job.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

freem wrote:I think this is overall a good idea, except for one "minor" fact: human buildables deal a lot of damages to aliens when they explode.
I don't mind if that can kill a dretch, dretch has to take care of itself.

But what is the damage the Tyrant get from this?

SuperDupont
Dretch

Post by SuperDupont »

Explosions can cause damage to human too. But they are more clever to don't stay close from stuff about to explode. (It's a joke).

I ever seen one exploded made another near damaged construction explode too few second later.

May be some constructions, human, should spill some flammable liquids, like someone will randomly use flamethrower in one or several direction for some second. Will be dramatic to watch. For armory for example. This means, these building shouldn't be installed too close.

I like explosions, it's beautiful. The hot metal on ground too.