Help Setting Up Dedicated Server Please?

Get support for Unvanquished.
Mattie Excelsior
Clan: Titans of Space

Re: Help Setting Up Dedicated Server Please?

Post by Mattie Excelsior »

I don't see the server on the Serverrs page on this site and now I get this when the server is up and I try to open the game.
https://gyazo.com/79e9b1e9e107619a271ed9130323e6e3

Mattie Excelsior

Why don't you compile a starter server will all the files in it kind of like you'res so it's easier for players to host a dedicated server not go though this hassle, a basic one as in have the bots and basic server.cfg and compress them into a rar file it would make this alot easier and I port forwarded that net port to TCP/UDP.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

It looks like you are running the client and the server on the same computer right?

You can edit your .cmd that way:

Code: Select all

daemonded.exe -homepath server -set net_port 27960 +exec server.cfg

This way, the "server" dir (you can create it or let daemonded create it, you are free to chose the name you want) alongside daemonded.exe will be the exclusive path for the server. Of course, you must put server.cfg in server\config\server.cfg.

You will have a file tree like that:

daemonded.exe
server\
server\config\
server\config\server.cfg
pkg\
pkg\unvanquished_0.50.O.pk3
…

If you want to host another server (for example a private one, just name the directory as you want, use another port number and put a g_password in server.cfg), you can do another cmd with that:

daemonded.exe -homepath private -set net_port 27961 +exec server.cfg

This way you will be able to have a different server.cfg in private\config\server.cfg, and will not mix logs from both servers.

That's almost what I do for my two servers.

[ :announce: Edit: if you pass the g_passwd cvar as argument at daemonded launch in cmd, it will works too, but it's a security issue, it means every process on your computer who will ask the system for a list of running processes will be able to read your password since it will be printed as a server argument in the process list. So, even if it works as argument, always put passwords and sensitive data in config files.]

Last edited by illwieckz on Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

If I remember right, you need that to announce your server to master server:

set sv_dedicated "2"

Mattie Excelsior

Alright I got it setup and it's running, how ever I keep timing out when trying to connect now.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

If you host the server on the same computer you play, you wille have trouble connecting to your server using your public ip address if you are behind a NAT, so you can't connect from the server browser (but other players on the internet can) because the server browser gives you the public address, not the local address. This issue is not specific to Unvanquished and even not specific to games, it's the way ipv4 network was made.

People from your LAN must use the LAN address, and yourself you can just connect to localhost, open the in-game console (shift-escape) and type:

/join localhost

Mattie Excelsior

Oh, can you see the server on the list btw?

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

If it's the ToS server, yes I see it.

By the way, I have some trouble to connect to. The map loads then the game is stuck (like infinite ping) after some time the map is displayed and it says "illwieckz [granger] entered the game", so I joined the server for real, your server must have logged me. It looks like a network issue (probably not an Unvanquished issue).

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

I'm from Europe, so it explains the high ping, but in the past I connected to aussie servers or US servers and it was not comfortable but better. So your problem is not all because of the high ping, it must be uncomfortable to me but playable.

Oh, the game disconnected right now just because of timeout. You can try to do tests with US people, there is a chat if needed.