32 bit for Linux?

Get support for Unvanquished.
Vinus

32 bit for Linux?

Post by Vinus »

First of all, hello everyone - I'm new on the forum and I would like to stay on it for a while :)
I would also like to say thank you to you all, who make this game - you guys are making a nice work for gamers, so a big thanks from my side :thumbup:
Now I'll move to my problem. I'm forced to use Unvanquished 0.8.0, because it's the most up-to-date version, which has 32bit support on Linux. I must admit, that it would be nice to play the most recent version, to report maybe some bugs if they occur and of course join the servers, on which the most players play.
Now, here is my question - is there any chance, that the game will get 32bit support for linux? It seems that for Windows there is a 32bit version, so would it be also possible to compile it for Linux 32bit? I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
Anyway, as I said, I will still be with you guys, because I think this game just needs it.

Thanks in advance for all answers and have you all a nice day!

Viech
Project Head

Re: 32 bit for Linux?

Post by Viech »

Hey and welcome to the forums! :smile:

The fact that you have to play Alpha 8 breaks my heart, because so much has happened in the last two years. :grin:

Don't we have Debian/Ubuntu packages for 32 bit? Or were they discontinued since ds disappeared?

I'm afraid Ishq never managed to compile 32 bit linux binaries for the universal zip. We want to supply them eventually (when we hit beta) but until then it seems like your only chance is to find a package for your distribution or compile the source. There should be instructions on the wiki on the latter but I'm not sure if they are recent.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Vinus

Post by Vinus »

Thanks Viech!

Yeah, it's heartbreaking - I see how it has improved, with the new models and I bet the new code is also better.
Well, I've compiled a few simple programs for Linux, but I'm pretty sure that a lot could go wrong if I would compile it ^-^
So the more probable version is that I just need to wait - it's not a bad thing, but there are some persons using 32 bit Linux, so it would be nice to provide the package for them (so they download the game and then play the game, which leaves the person with good memories about Unvanquished)
Couldn't find the package on sourceforge and have checked on playdeb - nothing was there.
If someone had compiled it for 32-bit, share it with the world :)
Thanks again!

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Wow, Alpha 8. That's ancient!

Compiling is actually super easy on Linux. We have a nice guide on our wiki.

Vinus

Post by Vinus »

Tried compiling - but to be honest, I'm installing the dependencies and cmake don't recognize the paths to the libraries, directories etc.
Have battled with it for 2 hours guys. I'm really trying it, but I also don't want to depress you with my very-low knowledge about the linux system (I'm making first steps with it, it's like you would like to teach a granger to dance a foxtrot - it's impossible).
It's easy if someone has the dev dependecies installed and it just needs sometimes an update. I'm not developing in anyway on my computer (I'm more in making music).
But please, don't feel offended in any way with my posts here. I'm just a Linux-gamer :)

P.S - I used of course the wiki-instructions for compiling

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Hello Vinus :smile:, at what step exactly are you stuck?

Vinus

Post by Vinus »

Hello Tom! ^-^

To describe it - after writing ccmake .. , I pressed [c] for configure - the first thing, which showed up was, that the SDL2_LIBRARY was not found (and also the INCLUDE_DIR). The funny part is, that I've installed it - I even compiled it and installed it (the link for the tar.xz on the wiki). So I manually have found (I think it's that) the dir and the library ( /usr/include | /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libsdl.so ). Then I pressed configure again, SDL is now fine, but every single thing pops up (even if it is installed), like opus, webp, glew, etc. These I've pointed manually to their directories and libraries. I'm now stuck at CURSESW_LIBRARY , CURSESW_INCLUDE_PATH and FORM_LIBRARY (also cursesw).
It's all installed, but it seems that it cmake doesn't want to find it automatically :/

<additional notes>
Ah, and I've cold by the way now, so don't punish me if I don't get it right away :)
Also, a big :thumbup: for you guys beign so polite - haven't seen it a while on the internet ^-^

EDIT:
Ok, sorry - I'm dumb as a stump. It's compiling right now, I will post how it went :)
EDIT 2:
I've got an error:

[ 89%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/client.dir/src/engine/audio/ALObjects.cpp.o
/home/marvin/Unvanquished/src/engine/audio/ALObjects.cpp:37:25: fatal error: efx-presets.h: File or folder does not exist
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/client.dir/src/engine/audio/ALObjects.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Awaiting for unended taskes...
Linking CXX executable daemon-tty
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/client.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Awaiting for unended taskes...
[ 89%] Built target ttyclient
make: *** [all] Error 2

--WORKED--
EDIT 3:
Ok, I'm even dumber than a stump. I had to install your openal pack (which unfortunately uninstalled a lot of my programs, but I knew that). It compiled, downloaded the packages, run it and... it worked! Even the lan server works! I'm so happy that I mustn't install a new version of Ubuntu to play this game.

Thanks for everything! You guys are great! :smile:
<Nur zu Informationszwecken: ich kann Deutsch und Polnisch, also könnte ich mich als nützlich erweisen ^-^)