Rapidly flickering screen + overheating GPU

Get support for Unvanquished.
tuxxy

Rapidly flickering screen + overheating GPU

Post by tuxxy »

So I installed the new version of Unvanquished from the Ubuntu repos and compiled SDL2.

Thing is, after starting the game and going into the option menu the game froze and the screen started flickering rappidly. It went on for a while without ceasing and there was no way to exit it, so I had to manually power down the machine.

The trouble didn't end there, however. Now my GPU is constantly overheating for some reason, and I'm not all that sure as to what I should do about it.

Halp.

Anomalous
Programmer

Re: Rapidly flickering screen + overheating GPU

Post by Anomalous »

It sounds like you have failing or faulty hardware… not our problem, even if it did start while Unvanquished was running. :frown:

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

tuxxy

Re: Rapidly flickering screen + overheating GPU

Post by tuxxy »

That's weird, I just replaced the GPU on this thing replaced after the previous one turned out to be faulty.

Also, a correction: the GPU isn't overheating, the fan is just running at a much higher speed than it should be. It's probably just some AMD driver issue, so I'll just play with the fan speed until things go back to normal.