Map Domination

Request new features or present your ideas.
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Map Domination

Post by Gireen »

Both teams start with a strong base which can't be changed.
And a territory 30 or 50% of the map. (atcs here as example)

Every team can place there buildings free inside their own territory.
Through Buildings at the border a territory can be increased until enemy buildings stop this effect.

the goal:
kill enemy froward buildings and expand.

Game ends when:
-One team dominates more than 75% of the map.
-timelimit is hit, the team with the biggest territory wins.

fear ma engrish :granger:

banksy
Mantis

Re: Map Domination

Post by banksy »

+1 but a few things might need to be changed.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

banksy wrote:

+1 but a few things might need to be changed.

Care to elaborate?

kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

The idea seems interesting (plus you have nice graphics) but I think that the building system would need to be adapted for it to work. When you say the buidlings can be placed for free, is it an UBP style? Also I fear that humans might have an enormous advantage because of their ranged weapons.

On the other side the implementation of such a territory would be difficult and not very performant (some kind of grid updated lazily?).

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Well. Generally in a normal game your objective is to expand, defend and attack. Now this game type seems exactly the same. except there's just more incentive to actually do those three things. Also. this means that you will have to move your base multiple times to reach the 75% mark which is a strenuous itself as lone buildings will not last a minute. I think rather there be a map with checkpoints. each checkpoint being a build zone. with a total of say 5 in a map. 2 on either aide of the centre line. And one in the centre itself. these check points should present the appropriate cover to build and move, but also allowing the opposing team a chance to attack. perhaps. and I say perhaps if your team were at the 4th checkpoint and the enemy took out your base. then you would be sent back to 1st checkpoint or maybe only back to the 3rd/centre one. I like the original suggestion. it just needs toggling for it to really work and add emphasis to the game. personally I really enjoy checkpoint multiplayers as they encourage teamwork as well as many small objectives which create a fun game in general. This will also make more use of each of the two classes. with builders being relied on a lot more. this is just an expansion on the op. :)

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

kangz wrote:

When you say the buidlings can be placed for free, is it an UBP style?

ah no, i mean placed without the need of OM/Egg/RC/Repeater in range. It doesn't matter if the BP come from resources or are a preset number.

Coding wise i don't know how to do this. Something like the navmesh? The Territory changes with every new/destroyed building, this means it is generated at the beginning of the game and then only changed in the area where building activities are.

banksy wrote:

Generally in a normal game your objective is to expand, defend and attack. Now this game type seems exactly the same. except there's just more incentive to actually do those three things.

Yes, but with checkpoint and the most other game modes it's the same. The big difference in all this is where the action happens.
In a normal game at the 2 main bases happens the most. With checkpoints we have this at a few more areas. But at bot we have always the same places where the fights are with a few exceptions of moved bases or on the way to a base.
The Territories will have a similar effect as the resources, building in the complte map but guid the players a bit more through the slower expansion.

the chances are:
-a simple and clear end for games
--no hunt for last players, no sudden death
-Forcing to build on uncomfortable places (like around the atcs bunker)

problems:
humans advantage through ranged weapons.

a possibility would be to make barricades immortal against everything except flamer and painsaw or giving the aliens another way for distance attacks.

fear ma engrish :granger:

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Or edit maps specifically for this game mode

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Search up bob's domination/obstical mod, and the arcade mod. Their domination mods are identical, and were really good, but I've never seen the domination version been played in gpp.

As far as I've played, camping wasn't an issue because the domination points only gave like 30 bp.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage