gun weight and player speed

Request new features or present your ideas.
KenuR
Tyrant

Re: gun weight and player speed

Post by KenuR »

jr2 wrote:

How about making it so that bigger guns do slow down the player, however, they actually do enough damage to be worth it?

This would also force people to work in teams, as the dude with the Chaingun would need someone with an AR/LG to watch his back.

But I don't know if that would be fun to play, and if it wouldn't be fun, it's probably not a good idea.

thtat's exactly how I thought it would work

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Hmm.. If i try to think about this, seeing nexuiz with the 11 (i think thats the max) weapons he can carry...

Anyway, i don't think this idea should be implemented. Why? Well gameplay reasons. How i use chaingun is simply aiming and shooting, dodging the goon with sprint on, or circling the dragoon a similar way how dretches circle a turret in trem 1.1. It could be imported onto the new weapon that possible comes into UV, if its like uhh, lucifercannon * 5 size and damage?

FedoraMan

Post by FedoraMan »

Personally, I'm not vehemently opposed to the idea, but it seems "anti-trem". I'll explain.

I see Tremulous as having a huge focus on player movement, like Quake 3 and Gloom before it. There's no recoil on most weapons, there's no accuracy penalty for movement, humans learn to "dance" to survive, etc. Most obvious are the aliens, however, as they are an entire faction designed around quick movement! Even the large "tank" class moves extremely quickly.

This is why, instead of going a different route, the original developers buffed pounce, added dodge, and buffed trample.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I think you're onto something with the movement. Whenever I play Urban Terror for a little while and I go back to Tremulous, everything feels really sped up.

Movement tricks are a direction we can take things in, but I think even that has to be balanced, or else you end up with a Warsow clone. I think currently we have sufficient emphasis on movement tricks, unless someone has something else in mind.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

True. Although you can do movement tricks on urban terror, it isnt that valuable in the game, and it is more cod-ish and relies on aiming abilities. Trem on the other hand relies on aiming, movement... etc. well you get the idea.