knife?

Request new features or present your ideas.
banksy
Mantis

knife?

Post by banksy »

I know we have the saw, but is there a possibility that humans can choose between the blaster and a knife. With a knife doing higher damage, but of course being restricted to close range.

I also have an idea of a new alien building where it has something similar to vines and grabs a human and pulls them in and does small damage by restricting and clamping the human with a 5 second cooling period after the human is released. The vine could possibly be broken by the human themselves or if a team mate knives it, or does a certain amount of damage to the structure.
For stability humans could have a similar structure but it could be something like an electric shock which both hurts and slows the alien.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: knife?

Post by kharnov »

How does a knife do more damage than a blaster?

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Extremely relevant:

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALvJ8xscNQM[/video]

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Well like in most games a knife does higher damage or even 1 hit KO

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

banksy wrote:

Well like in most games a knife does higher damage or even 1 hit KO

1 hit KO would just be OP. We might as well remove the painsaw.
Higher damage = 11 < x
My opinion about "good range": 15-20 (expert players will just simply knife dretches around while building)
It should not do more damage per second than blaster .'. one swipe every 800msec or slower...

I'd rather a blaster slap (like the shotty slap in xon) than a knife.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Knives are a good idea in "humans vs humans" games (like UrbanTerror) because humans are'nt fictionnal so not fictionnal weapon can be easily added to gameplay (everyone agree that a single stab in the right place can kill a human).

In "humans vs imaginary something else" games like Tremulous or Unvanquished, it's hard to get knife coherent and useful. Some aliens have carapaces… It's easy to say that all alien forms suffer from "Single-shot energy burst" from a pistol which "can absorb faint emissions of energy from a distant reactor, solar power from sunlight, and even thermal energy from open flame" (= Blaster), but difficult to say that all alien forms suffer from a stab.

Also, a knife probably can't do damage to a man wearing a battlesuit, is the same knife could do damage to an Advanced Dragoon or Tyrant ?

Look at the only one blade-like or sword-like weapon from Tremulous/Unvanquished, the Pain Saw, it's a totally fictionnal weapon.

If humans can use a knife instead of Blaster, the knife must be something like a little Pain Saw, or another totally fictionnal weapon (I think a knife-like weapon which can do damage to a Tyrant must be fictionnal). But it's hard to imagine another weapon which looks like to Pain Saw without being a Pain Saw.

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

We just need to pimp out the Painsaw so nobody feels the need for any more melee weapons.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Pain knife.

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

I see. What about the other idea?

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

kharnov wrote:

How does a knife do more damage than a blaster?

You have lots of bullets in this game, so aliens must be penetrable to them. Knives are the same type of damage as a bullet: metal objects delivering a lot of energy over a small surface area. They could feasably work. However, I do not believe that the knife is the best secondary weapon. It does not really fit the 'feel' of the game. Other melee weapons could work (fists, saw, sword/bat), but I do not think they would fit either. The blaster is the best for the time being, though it does suck from a tactical point of view. Fortunately, this is balanced out by the high amounts of ammo humans generally have.