better physics engine used in game

Request new features or present your ideas.
DGMurdockIII

Re: better physics engine used in game

Post by DGMurdockIII »

Ishq wrote:

That's not an engine. It is an abstraction layer.

yeah i new that but what do you think about it

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I'm unsure of the usefulness of swapping physics engines. We want a consistent physics experience throughout. Furthermore, I think using Bullet directly would bring better performance.

poVoq
Mantis

Post by poVoq »

Bump

Any progress on this since it was on the plan for 2013?

Alternatively, the Cube2 engine has a much simplified ragdolls only code that works with .iqm models and might be portable.

Edit: somehow related or back-portable?: https://youtu.be/WtSAx1aqc3g

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Maybe. Ultimately, physics is mainly a "cool" feature. There don't seem to be many practical uses for it. Efforts to integrate bullet have been put on hold as we focus on polishing the engine and start moving to make gameplay more engaging. If we think of a physics use that will make gameplay more fun (and in a way that works over the network), we can consider revisiting the issue.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

poVoq wrote:

the Cube2 engine has a much simplified ragdolls only code that works with .iqm models and might be portable.

This sounds nice though.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

aliencat

Post by aliencat »

Also Alien Arena uses the IQM format. I know the Tremoulos community had some issues with that game, but you are not them. :)

kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

We already use the iqm format but the biggest challenge in doing ragdolls would be to integrate it with our physics system. We've had plans to port it to bullet but none of the efforts have succeeded so for. If you want to take a look at the code it is on the bullet branch (and extremely outdated)