How should buildings be constructed?

Request new features or present your ideas.
Cadynum

Re: How should buildings be constructed?

Post by Cadynum »

Ideas

• Every human could carry a conkit. Perhaps you could make a choice between the conkit and a blaster, which could be a bit better than what it is in tremulous. Otherwise the conkit works as it does now.
    Aliens would need to have something to compensate for this.
    Edit: After further thinking this is probably a bad idea. It would mean teamwork is less important and it would be harder for aliens to rush the human base, given the general structure of the game is similar to tremulous.
  • It should always, for both teams, be possible to deconstruct buildings at any time.
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Cadynum wrote:

Every human could carry a conkit. Perhaps you could make a choice between the conkit and a blaster, which could be a bit better than what it is in tremulous. Otherwise the conkit works as it does now.

I would've proposed this if our current construction kit wasn't so bulky (it just isn't a valid sidearm weapon). But now you made me come to an idea: Take my original idea as a basis and let there be a smaller sidearm ckit that just builds a lot slower than the big ckit. Players could make the choice between blaster/small ckit or simply get both.

Cadynum wrote:

Aliens would need to have something to compensate for this.

Probably yes but I have no idea how to accomplish that. We cannot replace the Granger for obvious reasons (it is holy). We could allow aliens to build faster but they are already way ahead when it comes to quick base (re)construction.

EDIT 1
In order to restrict the possible applications of the small (sidearm) ckit we could give it some form of clip: After constructing for a fixed amount of build points you have to get more "ammunition" at the armory. (Note that using the mini ckit doesn't cost more build points than using the big one and buying ammunition doesn't affect the number of available BP for a team, its ammunition should just be tied to the price of structures. Also thanks to mx for the idea.)
I personally hope that giving the small ckit a clip isn't necessary but if it turns out to break balance that might be a more elegant adjustment than simply lowering its construction speed.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

Ishq wrote:

On topic: Accelerated healing for aliens, should it be implemented, should not be free for structures. Further, i think it would be more interesting if there existed a structure which provided this accelerated healing facility as opposed to a player.

That'd be cool as well now that I think of it.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

So basically what, an alien version of the defense computer? It would have to provide more of a function than just healing. I mean, we've already come to the point where we're questioning the validity of having the human defense computer around. A lot of alien buildings wouldn't really benefit from accelerated healing, either. Aliens quickly rush through a human base and do a lot of damage while being able to maneuver out of range of defenders, while humans attacking an alien base tend to come around, do a huge amount of damage, and either die or win the game. Humans have painsaws, grenades, and lucifer cannons, all of which outstrip what aliens are capable of doing to a human base. The defense computer at the very least provides some peace of mind because human bases are a bit more survivable, but there's not much of a point for an alien defense computer equivalent.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Sounds good. There are GPP implementations of this out there (granger jump or jump-and-taunt); health of new buildings (but not build time) may be affected.

We probably want this still to be a little less effective than construction kits, given that human buildings don't get automatic repair without a nearby DC.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

It would be pretty cool if the alien defense structures were more organic. Like you had several linked nodes that all needed to be destroyed to fully kill it. Sort of like a defense grid/ network. The defenses could grow back if any of the nodes remained alive. You could even have it so it takes a while for the aliens defenses to grow to full strength when they are initially built. Like you build the first node and decide where the others will grow, and then from there is takes a while to take root.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

You are getting off topic, this thread is about the construction process of buildings. While general approaches on reparing buildings are related the more specific question what can be constructed should be debated in another thread.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction