survival gameplay

Request new features or present your ideas.

yeah or ney

yes

57%

no

43%

Total votes: 14
monstercameron

survival gameplay

Post by monstercameron »

a coop game mode humans against a sea of bots and they try to get from point a to b.

example objectives:
the ship crash lands 100 miles from base camp because it is over run by aliens
leave the barracks(or its spaceship counterpart) and go to the armory to pick up better weapons
then go to the engine bay to activate the backup generator
go to the comms room to by pass some damaged circuitry
then go to the bridge to make the call and sit tight for help to arrive.

score based of objectives comeplete, aliens killed, special killshots(environment kills), health level etc.

monstercameron

Re: survival gameplay

Post by monstercameron »

this is a bit mainstream but this could easily switch to horror, what if the aliens infected the crew with a virus like rabies and they all went mad, this could be in a darker map with. If you guys get real time lighting down flashlights would also be great -doom 3 style- or have one player man the lamp.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

I think I suggested a similar infection-style mode before somewhere.

monstercameron

Post by monstercameron »

i went through the feedback section but must have missed your post ^^

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I like the idea but this sounds too exotic for a default game mode (which needs a lot of design work). It might end up as a mod if someone takes the time to hack it together.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

I voted no since this would require a lot of effort for a marginally useful gameplay mode. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it would be fun for a few games but since you are playing against bots there is no competition element. I suspect many people would go back to the multiplayer mode after a few rounds. To keep things competitive you could do a gameplay mode similar to DOTA, where you first push through bots to earn reward and then face off against the other team. The more efficient you are against the bots the stronger you are when you meet up against the real players. The team that destroys the other teams base wins.

monstercameron

Post by monstercameron »

janev wrote:

I voted no since this would require a lot of effort for a marginally useful gameplay mode. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it would be fun for a few games but since you are playing against bots there is no competition element. I suspect many people would go back to the multiplayer mode after a few rounds. To keep things competitive you could do a gameplay mode similar to DOTA, where you first push through bots to earn reward and then face off against the other team. The more efficient you are against the bots the stronger you are when you meet up against the real players. The team that destroys the other teams base wins.

I know the devs want to keep this game unique but I must point out left for dead, you team up with friends and fight against unrelenting ai...so saying that no one would play it for more than a few rounds is a bit shortsighted. I just don't think yet another arena shooter -with flair- will be sufficient in attracting a large -young- userbase

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

janev wrote:

Don't get me wrong I'm sure it would be fun for a few games but since you are playing against bots there is no competition element. I suspect many people would go back to the multiplayer mode after a few rounds.

This. There's tons of real-world examples of where this style of gameplay just doesn't last: Valve put all that effort into Mann vs. Machine and yet there's virtually nobody on MVM servers compared to vanilla TF2. They also made Alien Swarm (also linear) which also is all but deserted.

monstercameron wrote:

I just don't think yet another arena shooter -with flair- will be sufficient in attracting a large -young- userbase

In our defense, we are not "yet another arena shooter", but you have a fair point; I'd agree that players' expectations from a game in terms of variety have increased.

janev wrote:

I voted no since this would require a lot of effort for a marginally useful gameplay mode.

I think the solution is simple: as cool as it might seem to create an intricate linear survival map, don't. The more linear the level is, the less replayability because that leads to less game-to-game variation. It's a case of marginal benefits to marginal costs (I am not an economist, so forgive me if that's the wrong phrase): it'd take a substantial amount of effort to make a linear survival map only to reduce the fun factor in subsequent playthroughs while only marginally increasing the fun (from novelty) in the first few playthroughs. A survival map that was very open would, by contrast, be less effort (no one-off map elements to author) and would lend itself to many possible player experiences. Thus, replayability increases.

EDIT: I voted yes, but as you can see from my post, I would not want to invest time in developing a linear survival mode.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Make this votable in game, maybe?

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

monstercameron

Post by monstercameron »

maybe the arena designs could coincide with the linear level design of the survival. I don't see this bringing that much more work for the devs...this is just a one sided ctf game on a larger -possibly branched- level with tonnes of ai bot in the mix...I guess the hardest part would be designing the level.