Alien Bases that look like Alien Bases

Request new features or present your ideas.
RustyNaps

Alien Bases that look like Alien Bases

Post by RustyNaps »

Hey you guys should make it so the place the aliens reside look alien like. Like what they do in Natural Selection 1 & 2. I feel like it would add to the mood. Have blackish growth everywhere, a few of their home world plants and weeds sticking up from out of the ground; you know that kind of stuff. I mean just having alien assets everywhere without geological change just seems odd especially with a race like these who build stuff on things. Just a thought.

PS: Your Basilisk model still makes me giggle ;)

Viech
Project Head

Re: Alien Bases that look like Alien Bases

Post by Viech »

Hey,

The problem with this approach is that aliens can move their base anywhere. If we want alien bases to be cluttered with alien stuff we need to do this dynamically (as we already do with the creep). I really like the idea of having more random stuff growing near alien structures.

The basilisk and marauder models are placeholders, they will be redone in higher quality.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Viech wrote:

basilisk and marauder

No goon?

RustyNaps

Post by RustyNaps »

Well you could some how make the overmind the source of the dynamic geological change some how. Like the geological surface would go alien anywhere the overmind was placed within the build vicinity.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I swear i already responded to this thread before...

If we do have dynamic creep-like stuff, we'd become NS2 copy fags, as they do already say on the NS2 forums about tremulous... But i guess growing stuff like toxic mushrooms in the vicinity is alright...

seana11 wrote:

No goon?

It's already a robot. I guess developers love its robotic animation. If not, we can get galvig to do this, since from what i know, he didn't animate it.

But sheesh, i want a goon similar to kaos' design.

And basilisk remodelling, i would actually want a completely new model rather than a higher quality version.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I'm not sure about the goon, giving it a new head has been discussed but I don't remember a decision. I think lisk and marauder require more attention, they look out of place to me. With "redone in higher quality" I didn't mean to imply that the concept would stay the same. In fact there's a lot of new promsing concept artworks for both of them.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

We're redoing the dragoon too.

To repeat, we are redoing the basilisk, marauder, and dragoon, out of the aliens we currently have. They will receive new animations after being remodeled.

The dretch and tyrant models are permanent. Their animations are probably permanent too, unless we decided to throw something else in, but at the moment they're completed.

Of course, the granger still does not have a new model yet, but we're leaving it for last. The flying alien will also come later, once we finalize concept art for it.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

Well maybe perhaps something like the Zerg (starcraft) creep. The creep colonies grows the creep in a radius around them, and you can build on it. This would give the alien look and be functional.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

A few more idle animations, chosen from at random (with weightings) whenever the animation would be restarted.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I think a problem with the jerky stuff might be whether the engine supports 'animation smoothing.'
Surely, tremulous does as i can see, if you put timescale to 0.1 the movements are a little 'squarish' but it isn't jerky.

If we can't smooth the animations, i think the tyrant needs some fixing.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage