Server Administration

Request new features or present your ideas.
icaro440
Marauder

Server Administration

Post by icaro440 »

My server side suggestions

1 !invisible (tremulous 1.1 cqvm) allows the administrator to make a false disconnection and stay on the server without being seen by the other players

2 !seen (tremulous 1.1 cqvm) shows the time elapsed since the last connection to a given player

3 The ability to have multiple chat channels for players who wish to be intimate without using the /m repeatedly (tremulous 1.1 cqvm)

4 Pls extreme sudden death and vampire sudden death available to make the game more exciting.

5 !pause and !pauseall (!pause command would be applied to a specific player, so the other players could keep playing without stopping the entire server)

6 Pls Dont mix admins and banned players in the same archive (admin.dat). i would like a separate archive (banlist.dat or whatever it might be called) for the banned players/ips/guids

7 the voice of a referee would be great, something similar to the old quake3, "prepare to die!" "get ready to kill!" "humans win!" "epic win!" .. etc etc.

I cant wait to see the new human model :)

Congratulations for the good work you're doing, and thank you guys for doing this.

Forty-Two
Mantis

Re: Server Administration

Post by Forty-Two »

These aren't really administration functions per se, but rather QVM-related suggestions, including but not limited to administration.
I like the idea of putting admin levels and bans in separate files. For the rest, they seem quite trivial - I don't mean that to be sarcastic about your suggestions by the way. Most of these ideas pertain to admin commands, which is fairly easy to do for server developers. Personally, I'd prefer to have a minimalistic QVM when it comes to admin commands. In the spirit of open source, they would be easy to mod where wanted.
Of course, there could be a 'fancy' QVM release in addition to a 'vanilla' version, but most of these suggestions seem dependent on the specific goals and wishes of a particular server. I'm not saying they're bad ideas, just that I'm not sure if they should be in the default QVM.

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

icaro440 wrote:

[…]
!pause and !pauseall (!pause command would be applied to a specific player, so the other players could keep playing without stopping the entire server)[…]

We have /pause (which pauses the whole game) and /speclock (which moves a player to spectators and prevents him from joining a team for a while).

Your proposed pause I'd call /suspend, and it would freeze, and prevent damage to, a player. Not sure about it, really.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Kynes

Post by Kynes »

icaro440 wrote:

3 The ability to have multiple chat channels for players who wish to be intimate without using the /m repeatedly (tremulous 1.1 cqvm)

This should be pretty easy to do with the in-game irc client

5 !pause and !pauseall (!pause command would be applied to a specific player, so the other players could keep playing without stopping the entire server)

/speclock should be sufficient for this.

6 Pls Dont mix admins and banned players in the same archive (admin.dat). i would like a separate archive (banlist.dat or whatever it might be called) for the banned players/ips/guids

This could be handy.

A lot of the other commands for 1.1 qvms could be ported to unvanquished without too much difficulty, but probably won't be included in the master branch.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Kynes wrote:

This should be pretty easy to do with the in-game irc client

Doesn't work for me. Never worked before.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

ViruS wrote:

Doesn't work for me. Never worked before.

here an example:

set cl_IRC_connect_at_startup 1
set cl_IRC_server "your.irc.server.ip"
set cl_IRC_port "6667"
set cl_IRC_channel "MyUnvanquishedServer"
set cl_IRC_nickname "icaro"

irc_connect

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

nope. Keeps disconnecting.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

ViruS wrote:

nope. Keeps disconnecting.

:( , sorry bro. It didnt work for me when the irc channel wasnt previously created, but it works well for me once i directed it to an existent channel

On the same subject I wonder if...:

I connected my game client to my irc server/channel, so I can speak from my game client to my irc channel and vice versa, its ok, but

I wonder if would be possible to connect the game server to my irc server/channel, so that I can see everything that happens on the server from my irc channel.

Could you guys implement this function/capacity? that would be great and very appreciated by the server owners

Thanks, See you!

Forty-Two
Mantis

Post by Forty-Two »

I think that's even possible with Tremulous, if you use the tty executable right.

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.