reward system

Request new features or present your ideas.
DwarfVader
Mantis

reward system

Post by DwarfVader »

I mentioned this some time ago in an irc chat, but didn't get a clearly response so: ...

Is it possible, to use the stock enemy-territory reward system to better (in a more polished sense?) indicate the Stage (1-3) changes during game?

Given that these mechanics (stil?) exists in the deamon egine, it is also possible to implement a kill dependent rank system witch give only minor advantages, without breaking the game balance? ... This would implement a little "individuality" into the game. As well as for the player as for the task getting away from the original trem feeling.

I'm only talking about the possibilty here. These ranks would, of course, to be well designed if such a system becomes reality. f.e (not much altered) values could be:

a little more hp, a little more hp regen rate, a little more ammo/battery capacity, all time poisen ( of course weaker than the booster poisen ) ,
a little more building points, a little more movement speed etc.

Remember it's only a suggestion, because I loved the ranking system in W:ET a lot ( and in ET:QW ).

As the Humans could use (semi) military ranks...
..."Herzlichen Glückwunsch Herr Feldwebel! You have been prometed!!" --- would, of course, sound a little strange, while playing an alien ;) ... but i think, designing appropriate "alien ranks" wouldn't be that difficult:).

what do you think?

Greetz
DwarfVader

banksy
Mantis

Re: reward system

Post by banksy »

+1

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I think the best balance fixer would probably be this kinda rewards system:
If a person is on a kill streak (4+kills / life, or maybe 800+ dmg/life) you/killers get 1.5x the normal reward for killing him
If the person is on a feeding streak (5+deaths/kill or maybe 3+deaths/150 dmg dealt) reward half for to the killer(s)

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

this would indeed prevent someone of getting too powerfull or deny someone who's not that good any reward at all...if you only consider hp/dmg increase into that system and the match runs long enough ... and the received rewards drasticly increase someones killing power/capability. But what's about movement speed, ammo capazity and other things that could be pushed through a reward system too?

The Matches still have a timelimit and SD mode. SO if the upgrades you can get through such a system aren't too high powered, i don't think your kill by ratio balance would then become realy necessary. just reward players a little "bonus" if they've killed/build enough ... just like the stage system does for the whole team.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

I'm not sure what you're referencing here... could your give a link describing that aspect of the game?

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

well, I've made a screenshot in enemy territory: Quake Wars. Odd thing is, the game only saves them in .tga format under linux. i converted it to a jpg. i hope you know at least enemy territory quake wars, if not: ask youtube.

I've marked the parts of the screenshot, witch show a promotion in soldier rank for completing a mission, gaining faster target lock-on for rocket launchers.
Remember: I don't want to resemble this reward system one-by-one. It's just an example of how a player "could" be "rewarded" ingame, for a number of kills.
As Wolfenstein: Enemy Terriroy ( witch the deamon engine running Unvanquished is a fork of ) has a simliar reward system as ET:Quake Wars, I thought that IF these mechanics for such a system are still present in the (deamon) engine source, that they could be (re)used for such an implementation ( Described that earlier in this thread allready ).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd4q4rv6pvxujly/etQw.jpg

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

DwarfVader wrote:

this would indeed prevent someone of getting too powerfull or deny someone who's not that good any reward at all...

Thats why i brought up my idea.. Powerful people still get their reward, but feeders just feed less reward. Not sure if anyone actually read what i said.

DwarfVader wrote:

well, I've made a screenshot in enemy territory
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd4q4rv6pvxujly/etQw.jpg

I don't think the engine has anything to do with the stats system.

Btw, that idea kinda drives people like me off games. Like how in TF2 and BF3, you have to earn the goodies over time... In BF3, my jets still only have machineguns only... they have a very low hit rate... therefore it bores me.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

I don't think the engine has anything to do with the stats system.

aha ...and how it is brought to the screen then??

Remember: I've only talking about a more polished way to announce the " We have evolved " or " Reinforcements have arrived " message.
That said, the same routines could be used to inform the player if he has, f.e, got 10 kills and is receiving an extra 5 hp bonus. Thats the only thing, I'm talking about the whole time. The implementation, witch and what kind of rewards at what time during a match have to be discussed, if this idea is liked at all or not. And I still think your described Method of kill by ratio balance wouldn't be necessary. ...Not sure if anyone actually read what i said.But as usual, in the end the developers have to decide, if they (could) want to implement such a system, regardless if it drives someone else off the game or not.Done

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

i altered src/gamelogic/cg_draw.c and cd_servercmds.c a bit to better reflect the current achieved stage:

• added a decent background sound to be played with the regular stage message
  • changed size, duartion and textstyle of the message itself and added the capability to reflect witch stage was achieved

just some decent modifications. I hope this gives a better impression of what I'm after.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69238784/test.ogv

Note: recordmydesktop and pulse audio is a mess. sound is slightly out of sync. Haven't been able to solve this yet

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

this time with militatry rank icons as additional stage indicator and a reuse of the teamoverlay frame ( humans only so far ).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69238784/test-1.ogv