Some Ideas I'd throw out there.

Request new features or present your ideas.
TurkeyHandle

Some Ideas I'd throw out there.

Post by TurkeyHandle »

I've been a long time player of Tremulous and the Quake II mod it was based off (Gloom). I really want this project to succeed and hopefully make this genre of FPS with RTS elements flourish. I had a few ideas for this game, I'm not exactly sure if they break the guidelines you posted, but I'll try to be as detailed about them as possible, some are just a few suggestions, some are already implemented on certain servers, nonetheless I felt I'd throw them out there and see what you guys thought of them.

Idea 1: Overkill System - Basically, when you have 9 evos or max credits, you acquire overkill points, these points would only be acquired with said evos or credits, but they could be used to buy special team power-ups or items, for instance:

Alien Overkill Powers:
9 evos + 3 Overkill evos = "Queen": A powerful alien that serves as a mobile spawn point/booster, with a huge hit point pool but slow, and mainly used as a support class.

3 Overkill Evos = Swarm: A special alien "grenade" once launched releases 100s of small locusts that disrupt human defencive structures targeting and leave a human base vulnerable to assault for 10 seconds.

6 Overkill Evos= Overgrowth : All alien structures temporarily grow an outer shell capable of resisting high amounts of damage for 3 minutes, but can only be used once every 5 minutes.

9 Overkill Evos= Pestilence: All aliens become volatile with a corrosive gas they can either detonate themselves, or do so on death. Lasts 2 minutes. Only usable once every 5 minutes.

Human Overkill Powers:

2000 credits + 600 overkill credits = Assault Drone: A remotely controlled, highly armored Assault Mech armed with high powered Auto Cannons, but extremely vulnerable to electric shock, unable to jump, and can only repair slowly at a reactor core.

600 Overkill Credits = Mini Nuke, a high explosive timed device capable of leveling an entire alien base, once deployed, you have 10 seconds to reach minimum safe distance. However, Tyrants and Dragoons can swallow this device and minimize its effects to some degree, even move away from the hive, but they are encumbered and cannot move very efficiently while doing so. - Note : it would still be as effective as a nade if swallowed, and said goon or rant would receive an evo for sacrificing itself, plus more even for "kamikazi-ing" humans with it.

1200 Overkill Credits = Scanner Sweep: Overcharge a defense computer to give detailed analysis of Alien positions (essentially see them and their structures through walls), as well as heighten the effectiveness of automated defenses (Turrets acquire quicker, Tesla Coils hit more targets or do more damage) for 3 minutes, can only be used once every 5 minutes.

1800 Overkill Credits = Frequency Rupture: Sever the link between aliens and their Overmind, rendering them unable to evolve for 2 minutes. Only usable once every 5 minutes.

Idea 2: Colony/Reactor system from N7's server.

Basically each team can build a Colony/Reactor which increases the amount of build points they have, however, they must be placed within a certain distance of each other.

Idea 3: Special Advanced versions of structures:

Essentially, you would build a turret/barricade and then choose to upgrade its hitpoints/damage for more buildpoints.

Idea 4: Limited stacking:

By limited I really mean human turrets, allowing at least one another turret to be placed on top, maybe a special version of the turret model could be made to make this seem aesthetically pleasing. But I'm just throwing it out there.

Idea 5: Barricades for humans:

Pretty straightforward concept, a human barricade but I have an idea on how to implement this:

Force field, basically you would have a building with a cylindrical shape like a pylon (which would require additional ones), and you would build another one, and a force field would appear between the two/three/four, etc. that would allow only human life signatures to pass through.

So there you have it, some stuff that came to mind, felt I would throw out there to you guys so I could contribute something to a game that has taken years of my life away already. :P

KenuR
Tyrant

Re: Some Ideas I'd throw out there.

Post by KenuR »

Okay, I have an idea based on your first idea.
What if, instead of how it is now where you advance in stages by acquiring a set number of kills, you would advance in stages by getting a number of overkill points described in his first idea? But the max amount of credits/evos you needed to get until you started getting overkill points would vary in each stage.

So, here's an example:
In stage one each human could get maximum 400 credits. If they get more than that, each credit would go into "overkill points". So each human can contribute to overkill points by getting more than 400 credits.

And in stage 1 humans need 500 overkill points to get to stage 2 (for example).
In stage 2, they could get maximum 600 points, and everything else goes to overkill points, of which you need 1000 to get to stage 3.

And so on, you get the idea.

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

I like idea 4. or instead of another turret, maybe the turret could undergo upgrades in order to better its fire rate, damage, etc.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

TurkeyHandle wrote:

[2]2000 credits + 600 overkill credits = Assault Drone: A remotely controlled, highly armored Assault Mech armed with high powered Auto Cannons, but extremely vulnerable to electric shock, unable to jump, and can only repair slowly at a reactor core.

[3]Overcharge a defense computer ... Turrets acquire quicker...

[4]1800 Overkill Credits = Frequency Rupture: Sever the link between aliens and their Overmind, rendering them unable to evolve for 2 minutes. Only usable once every 5 minutes.\

[5]Idea 3: Special Advanced versions of structures:

[6]Idea 5: Barricades for humans:

I love these ideas, but a few notes:
[1] They cost so little? Btw, me overflowing my credits encourage me to share to the team (tremulous 1.1 only) or just rush constantly.
Anyway my point is that the overkill evos/credits reward costs should be something like 'per player' so massive teams don't get the rewards to fast.
[2] The devs said something about 'no vehicles' probably because of their difficulty to program [involves coding a whole new thing] Also it reminds me of NS2's portable cannon thing. They might think we stole more ideas from them.
[3] Thats what the old dcc did. I think you already know that. But i'd love to bring it back. I think the old code was very simple:
If the dcc is alive, and built:
Increase mgturret spin rate, allow humans to build teslas, and allow teslas to function
and thats it i guess..
[4]Reminds me of the admit defeat message of aliens. I think it was to do with the hivemind link broken... Maybe this idea should be changed for something else...
[5]I'm not sure about upgrading barricades... How bout something like this: Spend (your own only, or the ones that you earned only) overkill points on upgrading defence systems e.i acid (gas) tubes shoots spikes or emits a corroding poisonous gas [that poisons, duh] rather than emiting acidulous gas that simply corrodes...

Actually this sparks a memory: There was a pbot mod which had an rpg element to it: !donate. It was a 1.1 mod btw.
The !donate command allows you to donate excess credits towards 'leveling up' the human base and weapons. Every level up multiplies your weaponary and defence. I think i used a cheat once [actually simply changing the cvar] and level'd up the team to level 300, it took ages to even kill one medistation.
[6]See the KoRx mod from tremulous 1.1. Only difference between what you say is that you have to press 'q' to go through the barrier. Actually, it lowers the barrier instead. It was pretty much the most useful structure for humans in defence againts the over-tanky advance tyrants with 600 hp and that acid spit dealing 100 dmg to defence and 200 againts people... The good ol' days.... :D

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

KenuR wrote:

Okay, I have an idea based on your first idea.
What if, instead of how it is now where you advance in stages by acquiring a set number of kills, you would advance in stages by getting a number of overkill points described in his first idea? But the max amount of credits/evos you needed to get until you started getting overkill points would vary in each stage.

So, here's an example:
In stage one each human could get maximum 400 credits. If they get more than that, each credit would go into "overkill points". So each human can contribute to overkill points by getting more than 400 credits.

And in stage 1 humans need 500 overkill points to get to stage 2 (for example).
In stage 2, they could get maximum 600 points, and everything else goes to overkill points, of which you need 1000 to get to stage 3.

And so on, you get the idea.

What if people could each set a personal level, but it could not be lower than x credits.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

seana11 wrote:

What if people could each set a personal level, but it could not be lower than x credits.

The idea is for the credit cap to be approximately as much as the most amount of credits you could spend at that stage. In Stage 1 you could get a chainsaw + light armor + batt pack, which would cost 570, so I guess it would be logical to have the cap at 600.

This way in an unbalanced game where one person is on a killing spree, if he dies he will only have enough credits to get what he had in the next round, while right now a person can get enough credits to buy the best shit/evolve for the next two consecutive rounds even he dies without killing anyone.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

KenuR wrote:

The idea is for the credit cap to be approximately as much as the most amount of credits you could spend at that stage. In Stage 1 you could get a chainsaw + light armor + batt pack, which would cost 570, so I guess it would be logical to have the cap at 600.

This way in an unbalanced game where one person is on a killing spree, if he dies he will only have enough credits to get what he had in the next round, while right now a person can get enough credits to buy the best shit/evolve for the next two consecutive rounds even he dies without killing anyone.

I like that part of the game. It allows me to be tk'd or jumped without any buddies without suffering serious backlash. With that system it would be really hard to recover from events like that, which isn't fair for anyone. For example: I've just gotten enough money to buy x then get killed; I then buy x, but am killed before I can use it. I now have no money, and no way to rebound.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

seana11 wrote:

I like that part of the game. It allows me to be tk'd or jumped without any buddies without suffering serious backlash. With that system it would be really hard to recover from events like that, which isn't fair for anyone. For example: I've just gotten enough money to buy x then get killed; I then buy x, but am killed before I can use it. I now have no money, and no way to rebound.

What do you mean no way to rebound? You can still kill people and get credits/evos even though you died, you know.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

KenuR wrote:

What do you mean no way to rebound? You can still kill people and get credits/evos even though you died, you know.

Yes, but when everyone is rant or goon and you are a rifle, it takes quite a while to get back.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

seana11 wrote:

Yes, but when everyone is rant or goon and you are a rifle, it takes quite a while to get back.

With this system everyone won't be a rant or a goon, it will be more spread out.