minor menu changes (extensions)

Request new features or present your ideas.
DwarfVader
Mantis

minor menu changes (extensions)

Post by DwarfVader »

hi all,

i came across this while, browsing and reading the sourcecode on github, because i was bored, because there are no more than 3-4 human players at once on the official server to mess with ;)... Anyway:

I would like to see little changes made to the tutorial and teamoverlay option in the menu:

{yes, no, left, right} should be the available options there ( should be added for both entries, if not present allready). As the tutorial hints are printed over the teamoverlay (or the otherway around ) if you have them both activated and enough players are online :rolleyes: , this would give the player the choice to switch one of them to the left/right side of the screen for better visibility.

greetz
DwarfVader

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Re: minor menu changes (extensions)

Post by E-Mxp »

This has more to do with HUDs then menu's.
The hud-makers would have to implement these changes.

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

Oh my ...well, i described these (possible) changes from a user's point of View: and that is through the menu options I've mentioned.

Remember, its only a suggestion, you (whoever in the unvanquished devteam) don't need to implement it, if you don't like it, or feel that it is too hard to implement, you are not capable of and/or it is too much workload to do so, not worthy the expected results.

I can see, that changing the menu functions like I suggested, would include changing HUD functionality as well ( on screen placement and so on ).

However, I don't realy get your point in mention the fact, that it is HUD related...Why should I care about your internal work distribution inside the dev team, when it comes to implement suggestions? I just made one...

What I realy would like to know is, if this idea is practical, usefull and if you like it or not.

Thanks in advance
DwarfVader

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I agree, although its a minor feature. We could have something like 'position of tutorials' depend on what value cg_tutorials are
e.i.
0 = off
1 = default: left bottom
2 = mid right
3 = bottom right
4 = [see below]

I can't think of any other places to put them on the screen.

I think better tutorial mode, (maybe set this as '4' and the default?) that works something like this:
Intro menu - works something like the help info menu pops up upon ur first game entry...
Then there's an option on that menu to turn tutorials onto those 5 settings.
If it is on the fifth [4] it will do the following:
When the player has received enough credits (maybe equal to the freefundperiod reward value?) it will toggle a menu upon the next spawning. This will say something like 'walk towards the green box and press 'q' to buy a gun. It is prefered to buy armour over stronger weapons to prevent feeding.'
and on the next game after that, it unlocks 'ckit class' which allows you to spawn as a ckit with players around (let's say it was disabled on the first game with players on the team) and says 'We recommend you to watch how other builders build their bases and try to get the idea on what tactics are used. Such as turrets are built to support other structures, but not themselves'

etc.etc.etc.

You get the idea?

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

well virus, that fullscale game tutorial mode you suggest, is something I personaly would consider on a later stage of the game development.

I, for my part had to look quite often at the onscreen control hints in the beginning of playing unvanquished. And it may seem ridiculous to the trem/unv pros ...i just wanted to have a possibility of keeping both, hints and team overlay, clearly visible on the screen, implemented with minimal development input.

to better understand me ...it is necessary to know, that I only want more people to fill the servers...and that i only suggest things which could be realized with minimum amount of work in the short run and a reasonable amount of workload in the longrun. I allways try to see this game from a users perspective of view.
f.e ...the bug I posted recently about the name changing? no big deal for a dev, just a typo, fixed in seconds -- for a new unv player: "wtf, I cant even set my name properly from within the menu? what console? Oo where's the quit button, g2g!" ...

you get the idea?

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

I only mentioned the hud thing because the problem you mentioned is definitely hud related instaid of menu related. Your title reads "minor menu change".
The developer that makes the huds might glance over the title and not bother reading the full thing.
... and you posted the bug it in the suggestions forum.
But don't worry, no hard feelings. ^_^ This is indeed a small thing that is easily fixed.

I do really like Viruses hint system idea though. I would make it a small popup window that would popup once you select a weapon or bought a grenade for the first time and then disappear for good. "You just used a medkit! Medkits will heal you up to full health and remove any poison in your body!"

The tutorial level is an idea that has been floating around for a long time, and I think that with a good team you can make such a map.
If you look at the bot paths and things like the Advanced Map Patch you can really see the potential.
Takes a LOT of work though.

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

The thing with menus, someone, please, make it so you can use the movement keys... I'd love to have a better vsay menu like l4d's (press z and hold, use the mouse to navigate to what you want to say) which takes less time, and you still can move around, only just cannot turn.

About the advance map patch, can we like... implement it into our game as a feature rather than a mod?

ImageImageYou[TubeImage