1st person gun View standard

Request new features or present your ideas.
DwarfVader
Mantis

1st person gun View standard

Post by DwarfVader »

Hi there,

First of all great job developing that game !!! keep up the good work!!!
I moved my thoughts about the 1st person gun views here, because i feel they were orginaly inappropriately placed in the "The human model, and new mapl" thread before. So apologize for that.

So .... regarding the 1st Person view of the human guns, i think you should develop a "catalog" of how all human weapons shoud be angeld in ( compare the position of the las gun and the pulserifle f.e ), what size they have, how detailed the models are ( polygon count? ) and so on. I would also like to see that the coloring of the gun models would (could?) follow a specific sheme: f.e the blaster and the pulse rifle have definitly the same roots as both of them use that beautifull 2 color rusty brown-red / metallic colorsheme.
I would like to see that on the other weapons too. f.e you could paint the cooling rips in the middle of the las gun like that. And/or if you follow a different approach for ...lets say different weapon "families" the lasgun and the mass driver should have a common color model

what are your thoughts about that? Or do you allready have such kind of "roadmap" ...and just kept it a mystery to the interrested user by not going public with it? :P

greetz
DwarfVader

DwarfVader
Mantis

Re: 1st person gun View standard

Post by DwarfVader »

not a single reaction ? sad ...

Hey guys, what about the color shemes for weapons? I would like to have this discussed please. if this thread is missplaced, please move it.

thanks
DwarfVader

F1rst19

Post by F1rst19 »

Well It would be nice to see a few of the weapons with the pulse rifle color scheme, I also like that scheme as well. But seeing to many weapons with the same color scheme as the P-rifle could not look good. But for all the weapons they are all different, and comparing them to real world weapons, our guns are different in color such as from other countries or different camo.

CommanderWill
Dretch

Post by CommanderWill »

F1rst19 wrote:

Well It would be nice to see a few of the weapons with the pulse rifle color scheme, I also like that scheme as well. But seeing to many weapons with the same color scheme as the P-rifle could not look good. But for all the weapons they are all different, and comparing them to real world weapons, our guns are different in color such as from other countries or different camo.

yeah, take the SCAR and compare it with an M4A1, both are American, but look very different/color scheme. But color themes would be cool and aesthetically pleasing.

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

I came up with the colorsheme idea ( and the standardization atempt for all the guns ) in the first place, because i felt that some of the weapons look more rich in detail while others don't. To level this out a bit, i thought to enrich/enhance the colorsheme of some guns would be the easiest way to do this. That doesn't mean i wanted them to have all exactly the same colormodel. Just the same detail richness for all guns. I can't see that if i compare the lasgun with the p-rifle f.e.

As IMHO the pulserifle is, actualy the most beautifull gun in the game ( because one can actualy see the most of its details, as compared to the lasgun f.e -- wich has something to do with the angle the gun is displayed )... i'm nevertheless aware of the fact that some of the guns haven't even been touched yet ( like the chaingun and the lucifer cannon )...and that there is ( should be ? ) much room for improvements.

Reuse of the 4 barrel model of the gun turrets as a part of a ( new to be designed? ) chaingun would be something i would like to see in this context.

My concerns are just that if no one is talking about that now, that the dev team just collects different guns form ( in the worst case ) various designers and just "throw" them into the game versions as they "are" and as they become available. That shouldn't be the case at all without any standardization and/or rework atempt, because it looks pretty unprofessional and it would be a wasted chance of giving the human fraction a distinctive look and feel ( im thinking in long run terms of getting away from the tremulous felling to a whole new game ).

Droid

Post by Droid »

How about we fuck the 1 person weapon completely and on the models we use tag_camera (on md3) or a bone called camera(on md5)
so our view comes out of there, its basically a zoom- in of 3rd person and looks like first, this makes us see our feet and hands with the weapon.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I kinda agree with dwarfy about his prifle detail in comparison to the lasgun. I also agree about 'throwing in' guns. Maybe display the blueprints, and we adjust the models over time?

I never really cared about texture patterns in guns unless its too impractical.
I'm more concerened about an old issue that was once on trem:
Trem1.1 guns - Typically squarish. Has handles on the top for an unknown reason (take the lasgun for an example). Shotgun has the clip magazine on the top of the gun, which was pretty interesting (the only gun model i actually liked from trem). First gun was typically described as a 'box' in first person which drove away lots of people who i invited to play trem. Chaingun fires not in sync with the fire speed. (same applies to the current unv, but it will be changed anyway right?)
Trem1.2 guns - Circular chamber for blaster and luci. I don't know, just doesn't suit me. (unv uses the same blaster). Shotgun's yellow sight (unofficial i think, looks similar to unv's yellow circular sight) was retarded. I don't remember any other 'new' guns.

Here's my opinion upon current unvanquished guns:
Unv - Blaster "borrowed" from trem 1.2 [or was moved to with permission] (I don't mind, as long as that retarded ball thing doesn't come again in another gun). Flamer is somewhat tiny [flamers are typically long]. Shotgun looks like a rifle, with the magazine and the iron sights making it look even more like a rifle. Flamer particle system looks weird when displayed in slow motion (3 flames spawn, two at the start which i accept, then there's the one starting in the middle).

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

hey guys,

just to make this clear ... I have no, whatsoever experience in modeling/animating game realted stuff.
I do java programming with the swing toolkit. thats all :-) So if something or everything i suggest here or ask to talk about is not, or only doable with an exorbitant amount of work, please let me know.

@Droid, does the animations in this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR3QzpM_oVY and that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGP8gyi9 ... ure=relmfu
video come close to what you have in mind with the "over extending the 3rd person view" thing? (the legs)

@Virus ...what do you think about the stock ET flamer "flame" ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwlCRndCxI
I also like the blue igniter flame buring all the time in front of the weapon and following the gun movement#

Droid

Post by Droid »

DwarfVader wrote:

@Droid, does the animations in this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR3QzpM_oVY and that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGP8gyi9 ... ure=relmfu
video come close to what you have in mind with the "over extending the 3rd person view" thing? (the legs)

Yes!

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Droid wrote:

Yes!

Seconded. I like how the hands are visibly attached to the model.