Small ideas & miscellaneous suggestions!

Request new features or present your ideas.
janev
Marauder

Re: Small ideas & miscellaneous suggestions!

Post by janev »

tuxator wrote:

Hi, I'm not sure about the idea or if something like that has already been talked about: There should be a limitation on how many people can play a certain alien class or how many people can run around with a certain weapon. There should also be one 'default' loadout which is not limited (may be more than 1)

Why? It balances the whole game and makes team coordination more important, also a team that has fallen back (read: getting it's ass handed) has a higher chance of 'coming back'.

The limitation should be map and percentage bound (for example: on a big map 30% of a team can equip $weapon, on a small map only 10% can).

From where I got that? Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

I'd rather not have any kind of hard limit. If you wanted to incentivise people to use all the weapons you could make them more/less expensive depending on how many are in use.

tuxator

Post by tuxator »

janev wrote:

I'd rather not have any kind of hard limit. If you wanted to incentivise people to use all the weapons you could make them more/less expensive depending on how many are in use.

well, it's more of a forced balance. I would like to get the game more strategic. Currently it's just another version of Counter Strike. It's the standard, 'two sides with different weapons have to annihiliate the other side [or do something like planting a bomb, which also just speeds the annihilation part up]'

I'd like to get it to 'well, we still have to kill eachother but now not everyone can run around with $bestWeaponInTheEntireGame and we need to coordinate things more'

So people need to cover eachother and not run around in fullbody armor and a saw while not caring about anything else.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

The thing is though that there is no "$bestWeaponInTheEntireGame ". There is only the right tool for the job. Sometimes the job that needs doing is so big you need a lot of the same tool. I dont want to be forced to fight tyrants with a flamethrower just because the other weapons are in use. I also dont want to be forced to spend my last credits on a massdriver because everything else in the low end is taken.

Holy Elvindor

Post by Holy Elvindor »

Hi,
Possibly this hurts the guidelines for minor changes suggestions, since it's seen in many other games, and given that I am not familiar at all with the game code, it's most likely not even implementable, but:
What you guys think about random generated maps (As seen on Diablo of course, and on an single player FPS called receiver: http://www.wolfire.com/receiver)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Holy Elvindor wrote:

What you guys think about random generated maps

I would like to try something like this some day but it will most likely never be a part of the game. I imagine a server that runs a script to create and bake a map while a match is going on and have clients load it for the next round.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Well, there is that map generator that takes text files and makes them into maps. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to write a random text generator and pass it through that while providing it with neat textures. Still, it'll end up being pretty shitty.

Holy Elvindor

Post by Holy Elvindor »

kharnov wrote:

Still, it'll end up being pretty shitty.

Sorry, why exactly would it be shitty
I'm not saying that it wouldn't, I just didn't got your line of thought

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Generated maps won't have anything unique to them, like little personal touches or decorations or map props. You'll just have a series of boring, flat hallways.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

Well, it depends on what kind of generation we are talking here.

Lololo

Post by Lololo »

Not sure if this has been suggested before but:

- Make every bullet look like a tracer.

• Make every laser shot look like a beam.

• Make every weapon fire a visible projectile. From blasters to machine gun turrets.[/b]

It would make the game look so much more epic and it would enhance the feeling that a battle is going on when there are projectiles flying all around. Movies use it to attract wider audiences so why can't UV? Not sure if this would cause any server lag but it shouldn't because there are other weapons already that have this: flamers, pulse rifles, lucys, blasters.

Also why not give the lucy shot a nice explosion instead of those weird unnaturally looking swirling beams?

This video is from the Complex mod for Homeworld 2 (a strategy game) but you get the idea:

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cNFLztZ85k[/video]

Ever imagined something happening without any reason at all? No?
Well it just happened. O____o
~ The Great Lololo