Small ideas & miscellaneous suggestions!

Request new features or present your ideas.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Small ideas & miscellaneous suggestions!

Post by kharnov »

Here is a thread where you can post minor feature suggestions that probably wouldn't need a whole thread dedicated to them. Some things you can post here:

• Does my idea fit into Unvanquished? If you're not sure about your idea, post it here. If we like it, we'll encourage you to make a whole thread about it.

• Did you consider this idea? If you're asking about an idea from elsewhere, such as the Tremulous forums, ask here. Please link to the idea in question, if possible. Otherwise, describe it.

• I'd like to see a minor change. Things like minor stat changes to a class, building, or weapon can be posted here.

All ideas will receive an official response. Make sure to read the guidelines thread first.

ViruS
Granger

Re: Small ideas & miscellaneous suggestions!

Post by ViruS »

Few simple ideas, i will edit this post over time:
Humans
-Tissue Regeneration Device - Regenerates the human extremely slowly over time and accelerates slowly as time passes from previous hit, but replaces the medkit. This helps a human last longer in big maps , but prevents him from regenerating mid-combat. It would somewhat also help humans from having to run back to base after combat.
-Some sort of electrical regeneration device, creates clips for energy-type weapons over time, works without a reactor. Kinda like a portable super solar panel that works everywhere.
Aliens
-The acid gas buildable slows down humans - Because right now, considering how 'fat' the tubes have become, i think them of useless buildables. [They can't be hidden well anymore, and have a larger area that can be hit without detecting the human]
-Maybe another class, apart from the flying alien, that can do little damage over extreme range. To counter camping humans.

Other:
-At least make the tyrant heal faster, as long as it doesn't become crazy like the adv rant from korx did. That would just increase hall camping. Otherwise, i will have no use for tyrants; they can't tank up much damage, they heal slow, they can, but not efficently killwhore...
-Improve basic particle systems. Take my visual mod for example. Its not completely my work, well in fact most of it is done by the creators of the Funko visuals [R Funserver CZ] and i modified it quite a bit.
Such as sparks, rather than a flame when you hit a buildable. Sparks may not make sense, but: Mini Flames comming out when you shoot it?
Also the gore/gibs, is one of the main features i like. But i'm not sure on the official rating of this game*, considering a lot of youngsters [10-18 years] play Trem.
*If there was to be one.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Here's my response to your ideas:

• Tissue regeneration device: not only does the medikit do the same thing, but if we more or less gave the humans a permanent medikit, they'd be healing like aliens. That does not fit thematically into the game. Humans are supposed to run back to base to reload and heal, assuming they get that far.

• Electrical regeneration device: again, no. Just like the above, humans are not supposed to be able to regenerate health or ammunition. If you want ammo away from your base, build a repeater.

• Acid gas slowing you down: the creep already does this. It wouldn't make sense to make it slow you down even further. Also, keep in mind that it doesn't matter how well you "hide" the acid tube. Even back in Tremulous, if a building was in your line of sight and it wasn't reacting to you, all you had to do was pull out a blaster and shoot it. Buildings are not suppose to reliably keep people out of your base. Instead, they are supposed to deter attackers.

• Long-range aliens: the dragoon barb is supposed to function over long distance. Besides that, I don't think long-range aliens make sense or fit thematically. Also, you're not supposed to respond to camping by adding mechanics that work against it. You're supposed to deal with it by removing the incentives to camp.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

kharnov wrote:

Here's my response to your ideas:

• Tissue regeneration device: not only does the medikit do the same thing, but if we more or less gave the humans a permanent medikit, they'd be healing like aliens. That does not fit thematically into the game. Humans are supposed to run back to base to reload and heal, assuming they get that far.

• Electrical regeneration device: again, no. Just like the above, humans are not supposed to be able to regenerate health or ammunition. If you want ammo away from your base, build a repeater.

• Acid gas slowing you down: the creep already does this. It wouldn't make sense to make it slow you down even further. Also, keep in mind that it doesn't matter how well you "hide" the acid tube. Even back in Tremulous, if a building was in your line of sight and it wasn't reacting to you, all you had to do was pull out a blaster and shoot it. Buildings are not suppose to reliably keep people out of your base. Instead, they are supposed to deter attackers.

• Long-range aliens: the dragoon barb is supposed to function over long distance. Besides that, I don't think long-range aliens make sense or fit thematically. Also, you're not supposed to respond to camping by adding mechanics that work against it. You're supposed to deal with it by removing the incentives to camp.

Tissue Regeneration: At least it could prevent some camping. It used to work on tremx pretty well, except too well, whoever gave in the biokit [increases autoheal to 4 per second] shouldn't have done so. Rather, i'd like either medkit, or slow healing [like 0.5 hp/s, maybe worthless if less]

Electrical Regen thingy: Hmm i suppose so, but it just becomes really annoying, i seriously have no use for such guns like luci-bsuit simply because i often run out during my first combat if the opponent's a marauder/dretch and therefore blaster > luci without battpack

Acid Gas: Forgot about that, but the acid tube creep is very small. I'd say the acid range itself is short, I can rush in without getting hurt simply because i only need to kill one side of tubes, and then i run along that side, other side won't reach.
I forgot to say this, but the creep from gpp is buggy, it somewhat goes through walls. Even if you can't see the tube using radar, if you're directly opposite of the wall. It wasn't like that in 1.1

Long Range Aliens: I meant a cheaper alien, like 2 evos. Does very insignificant damage. But i do see your point.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Before I knew about Unvanquished I made a whitepaper containing improvement ideas for Tremulous GPP. I never released it since I got a bit frustrated of the "Tremulous is dead" reactions when making propositions on IRC. However, some of the ideas discussed there might still apply to Unvanquished while others might have already been discussed or are taken out of context. If the rejection isn't overwhelming I'm planning to open a thread for proposition 1.2.

JBiscuitz
Mantis

Post by JBiscuitz »

I would still really love to see a stage 3 marauder. As this is my preferred class a minor power/health boost in s3 would be a great way to spend the evos.

As for extra abilities, perhaps stage 2 zap would revert to the old hold to do max damage and stage 3 would receive the current instant damage zap.

Perhaps (just an approximation) the swipe range would increase closer to 1.1 with a minor power boost and health increased to 200.

seana11
Tyrant

Re: Have an idea? Read this first! General guidelines and FAQ

Post by seana11 »

Comment on the pulse:

Since there have been complaints that the pulse is rather lackluster at it's niche (destroying bases and killing stuff), I was thinking that a bit of splash could do it good (especially since it's mid range, with lag). This would help it become more than a substitute for luci at s2.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

seana11 wrote:

Comment on the pulse:

Since there have been complaints that the pulse is rather lackluster at it's niche (destroying bases and killing stuff), I was thinking that a bit of splash could do it good (especially since it's mid range, with lag). This would help it become more than a substitute for luci at s2.

I'm not sure who's complaining but I find pulse to be very effective. Pulse is already really powerful there is no need to make it even stronger.

danmal

Post by danmal »

Khaoz wrote:

I'm not sure who's complaining but I find pulse to be very effective. Pulse is already really powerful there is no need to make it even stronger.

Luci outshines pulse at pretty much everything and it's at a similar price point. There's no need to make the pulse stronger just to differentiate it from the Luci.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

JBiscuitz wrote:

I would still really love to see a stage 3 marauder. As this is my preferred class a minor power/health boost in s3 would be a great way to spend the evos.

As for extra abilities, perhaps stage 2 zap would revert to the old hold to do max damage and stage 3 would receive the current instant damage zap.

Perhaps (just an approximation) the swipe range would increase closer to 1.1 with a minor power boost and health increased to 200.

Good idea, but will the 'stage 3' marauder cost more? I think 200 hp is pretty OP as a marauder. Its pretty much probability-based that you can kill a marauder if you can't hit fast aliens.
I was thinking, maybe the old marauder's walljump physics could be brought back for a new class or implement the 'wallclimb' bug into another alien. I kinda figured why this 'wallclimb' stuff happens:
-Faster air acceleration [beneficial to strafe jumpers like me]
-When jumping at a wall directly, the speed vector does not reverse [check the speedometer on 'no-Z mode'], it still goes towards the wall, hence you'd be stuck on the wall for a while [wasn't like this in 1.1, i ran a test if i could imitate gpp's marauder climb once with the air acceleration of '4.0f', it failed because the marauder still bounced off the wall too frequently]
-In result, you gain speed towards the wall as well as upward velocity, hence you can stick to the ceiling.

seana11 wrote:

Comment on the pulse:

I had that in my qvm [1.1 mod], i'd say its OP againts dretches. I already think its OP in killing things, particularly bases and tyrants. 1.1 pulse was even more OP because it can kill two tyrants in one clip.

Viech wrote:

Before I knew about Unvanquished I made a whitepaper containing improvement ideas for Tremulous GPP.

First thing i noticed was' you cannot estimate the range without the painsaw in first person'. I'm like wut, i can estimate it still with cg_drawgun 0.

Also walljumping is already in by default. Just jump off a wall.

At the other stuff: I think they've been debate-d about before.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage